This Disappears When Logged In

Boas

Discussion in 'Boas' started by Axolotl1169, Jan 24, 2016.

?

What kind of boa is best

1. Rainbow boa

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Hypo boa constrictor

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Axolotl1169

Axolotl1169 New Member

Rainbow boas are cool animals

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Hi. No way to answer a question like that, as it will always depend on the person involved, not to mention we would first need to answer the question of best for what? A beginner? For easiest care? Best looking? and so on. Personally I think the rainbows are prettier, but a regular boa will be a bit easier to care for.

3. GitaBooks

GitaBooks Well-Known Member

Rainbow Boas are amazingly beautiful. Because I worry a large boa could injure the other animals I keep, however, I have chosen not to own them for the time being. I love the way boas look, though.

4. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Rainbows are more work than a common boa, because they absolutely require much more humidity, being rain forest snakes. That said, they are worth the trouble. You'll never in your life see a prettier snake than a Brazilian Rainbow.

5. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

I personally think Dominican red mountain boas are just as pretty as rainbows, are easier to maintain, and simply never strike or bite regardless of age or size.
    Here's a recent pic of a 2 year old juvie:
    P1060721_zpsw2lzy7pi.jpg

And an older pic of a young adult, likely 4-5 years old:
    P1060655_zps3q3cjguw.jpg

They have the same iridescence as rainbows depending on the lighting, pics aren't particularly good ones, lol.

Dragoness likes this.
  6. GitaBooks

GitaBooks Well-Known Member

That is a beautiful snake! It almost has the same pattern as a Corn Snake, which is one of my favorite snakes.

7. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

Those pics are of high reds, here's a few pics of some of the other colors they also produce:
    P1060653_zpswezh7fus.jpg

P1060650_zpstpmarpbr.jpg

P1060623_zpsjkjdnmne.jpg

P1060625_zpsoilnqp3e.jpg

Regardless of the colors, they all share the same mellow disposition. Beautiful snakes, but more expensive than red tail boas or some BRB's. You can pick up normal baby red tails for around $40-50 at a reptile show.

8. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I saw some red mountain boas at a recent show. Very gorgeous animals.