This Disappears When Logged In

Boa Waggling Its Head?

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by Circe, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Circe

Circe Member

My boyfriend and I got a six foot red-tail today and we noticed one of the strangest things. It's not something that I've ever run in to and wanted to ask what you guys thought. He's in a 36"x19"x12" tank with an infra red basking light. Ambient temp in the room is about 70 degrees and the temp in the tank is in the high 80's. His previous owner told us that he hadn't eaten in a while and didn't like eating in the winter, which we call bogus on. Attached is a vid showing his odd movements.. I know that I say he's in a longer tank than he is because I was eye-balling the length but the measurements that I've given are the proper ones.
    [video=youtube;AoTJwcX_m3A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoTJwcX_m3A[/video]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  2. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

It's so painful to watch :( The only other time I have seen this is a boa who had IBD, this is one sign it's called "Stargazing". Do you have him anywhere near anyother snakes (Boas, pythons etc?) IBD is extreamly contagious and always fatal.

3. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I agree with the stargazing.... Sadly.

Another common symptom of IBD is an inability to right itself, if turned upside down. Snakes with this disease seem to be very easily disoriented.

Per one of my former vets, certain vitamin deficiencies can cause very similar symptoms.

Strongly recommend a very very strict quarantine, and a vet exam ASAP. If your snake does have IBD, it's better to euthanize it now, and spare it suffering, as there is no cure, much less any effective treatments for it.

4. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

MAKE SURE YOU SANITIZE MULTIPLE TIMES AFTER HANDLING THIS SNAKE! Move it into a room away from other snakes. Make a vet apt ASAP and I am sorry you have to deal with this.
    I am hoping it is just a vitamin issue.

5. Circe

Circe Member

Thank you. Will be making a vet appt ASAP. He is in his own room, away from Circe and Delilah, so if it is inclusion body disease, they won't get it. I've been sanitizing all day, basically every time I touch the tank. I noticed that he was also breathing with his mouth open and I had seen a couple of bubbles pop out of his nostrils while he was breathing. Are any of the symptoms of inclusion body disease the same as an RI?

6. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

From what I have read RI is a symptom of IBD
    Here's a link: Inclusion Body Disease
    It's really scary! Are you able to contact the people who you got him from?

7. Circe

Circe Member

Oh dear... After reading more and more about the disease, it's definitely looking more and more like it. I know that I'm a very paranoid pet owner/parent but as I'm looking at more and more illnesses/diseases that affect snakes, IBD is definitely seeming to be the most likely. We are able to contact him, as my boyfriend works with the man. I'll be having him do that tomorrow. This really stinks because we haven't had him a full 24 hrs and Invictus is already one of my babies.. Well, I hope it's just a vitamin issue..But I suppose we won't know until we get him to the vet.

8. medusa1974

medusa1974 Well-Known Member

OK as she said we just got this snake. I got it from a friend so the snake wont be a problem, he is taking it back and dealing with the vet/ euthanisation if needed. But is there any other precautions to take other than bleaching and sanitizing every square inch of our house. I always,ALWAYS sanitize my hands and forearms before handling my snakes but my burmese was out shortly after I brought this snake home. I'm kinda freaking that this snake has contaminated my entire collection.

9. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

You could re-quaranrine each snake. Sanitize everything.

My snakes are on a whole different floor. Quarantine is up with us, basement is the collection. Prevents stuff like this. Good luck.

10. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Clean everything wash your clothes in a hot water and the hot dryer. If you have an iron or a steamer steam or iron ant fabrics he has been on that are not machine washable. Heat will kill it too.
    The fact that it can be airborn scares me the most. Airborn illnesses can only live for a few minutes(I had taken a dog with kennel cough to the Vet in my car, and I was worried about infecting my dogs). Clean every thing that you could have touched after touching him. A spray bottle with bleach would work the best.

I am so sorry that you guy have to deal with this. It's a heart breaking illness and it has devistated entire collections before. It is one of my worst nightmares. I am scared to bring new animals into my house because of this.

11. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Remember to wash floors and walls as well. I would move your burm into a different area from the other snakes just to be sure.

On a side note I wonder if before taking a snake would flipping it over to see if it can right itself be one way to check for this?

12. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Yes. I've done it in the past. I also check for head wobble too in certain species.

13. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Does it do this outside the enclosure? The reason I ask is it looks to me like the snake is looking at something on the top of the lid.

14. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

So we just scared the bejeebies out of them And merlin comes in with: what's so interesting about the lid?
    Watch Merlin's right and we all just jumped off the deep end for nothing...

(This is not meant to be offensive.)

15. medusa1974

Yeah the snake does it everywhere. I called the vet and they said to roll it on its back to see if it tries righting itself. It is definitely IBD she is star gazing and she laid on the bed in my herp room on her back for about a half hour before rolling over and crawling away. My vet also said look in the nostrils because it is common for them to plug with this disease.

16. Renouji

Renouji Elite Member

Everything I have been reading on IBD states that
    and that
    Also take note that every document on IBD states
    and
    It's not very clear to me if pythons fall under this species or not but there have been cases of Burmese Pythons being diagnosed with IBD.
    Signs of IBD:
    • Regurgitation (most prominent altho not all infected snakes will regurgitate)
    • Neurological (most prominent)
    • Head tremors
    • Dysecdysis (abnormal shedding)
    • Anorexia [lack of appetite or refusal to feed]
    • can rapidly progress to produce nervous system disorders
      • disorientation
      • corkscrewing of the head and neck
      • holding the head in abnormal and unnatural positions
      • rolling onto the back
      • stargazing
    • Stomatitis, pneumonia, undifferentiated cutaneous sarcomas, lymphoproliferative disorders, and leukemia have all been observed in affected specimens.

In short, Quarantine will only be 100% guaranteed if your scrubbing yourself and possibly even changing your clothes after handling the suspected snake. I have not seen anything anywhere that states it is airborn. Could someone please provide a reference to this?

[highlight]ref. Inclusion Body Disease - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    ref. Boidae - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    ref. List of boine species and subspecies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/highlight]

17. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

sucks, so sorry to hear and I wish you the best, any test that they can do on the burm this early just in case? That's also my worst fear :(

18. medusa1974

We are in the process of sanitizing every square inch of our house. I asked the vet and there is no way of testing for the disease and if it is transmitted to any other snake there is no treatment for it anyways. The vet said just sanitize sanitize sanitize and be very diligent about washing hands and sanitizing them before handling any of my other snakes. My burm is in molt right now so she wont be out for awhile anyways. It is just heart breaking to see the affect of this disease I would not wish this on anyone. But iwanted to say thank you to everyone for your responses and support it is greatly appreciated.

19. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Well I had hoped that it was just the snake looking at something or trying to find a way out. But if it does the same behavior out of the cage that shoots my theory down.

20. Renouji

Renouji Elite Member

I would call your vet back and call BS on him. This can be tested in the laboratory, tho I imagine it would be costly and what would be the point of having that done if the vet is already writing it off as IBD anyways. I'm so sorry for your snake v.v this is such a horrible way to go. hopefully it didn't spread to your other babies and good luck.