This Disappears When Logged In

Boa Constrictor

Discussion in 'Boas' started by Evgen, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Evgen

Evgen New Member

• Hello, tell me how long it takes the boa to kill a rat. ScottBobak writes 1 minute, but on documentary films rats are struggling for 3-5 minutes with a boa constrictor?

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

It can take a minute or 2, sometimes more. Just depends on how the snake gets hold of the prey, as they don't always get a perfect strike on the head. If your worried about it you might want to consider switching to frozen-thawed prey.

Lori68 likes this.
  3. Lori68

Lori68 Subscribed User Premium Member

I second the f/t rodents over live....if that's what is causing you to ask the question at all. F/t is more humane, easier to deal with by having loads on hand in the freezer to thaw out when needed instead of keeping rats that smell and need just as much (if not more) maintenance than the snake who eats them.

4. IAmTonyaR

IAmTonyaR Member

5. IAmTonyaR

IAmTonyaR Member

I used to have red tailed boas. When I fed them, I would go buy the rats I needed then place one in a plastic bag and bang it on the floor to knock the rat unconscious. I didn't particularly enjoy that. I don't have snakes anymore. This was almost 20 years ago. I love them, but will not ever have them again, unless to save the life of a captive one. And even that has a small chance.