This Disappears When Logged In

Boa Constrictor Swollen Vent?

Discussion in 'Boas *General*' started by Chimeran, Nov 12, 2016.

1. Chimeran

Chimeran Member

For the past few days her vent has been up and out, looking almost swollen, its been a week since she last pooped, could that be the issue or should I take her to the vet immediately?

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I know it sounds gross, but pictures would help.

Is it just swollen, or is it prolapsed?

3. Chimeran

Chimeran Member

It doesn't look like a prolapse to me but i am not a snake expert

Attached Files:

4. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

5. Chimeran

Chimeran Member

I already scheduled an appointment for friday, is there anything I should do so it doesn't get worse? I've been soaking her in water every few days

6. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Soaking is good - it will help prevent the tissues form getting dehydrated.

I'd minimize handling (limit to necessary for maintenance only) you don't want the snake moving around more than necessary, and possibly exacerbating the condition.

7. Chimeran

Chimeran Member

*Update*
    Amourette has been to the vet twice now.
    The first time the vet said it wasn't a prolapse, and she prescribed her antibiotics and an anti-inflammatory. They didn't really work, so i scheduled another appointment, a new guy comes in, feels around the infected area and he relieves the area of swelling (i think) and he then sutures it up, i have another appointment on Tuesday to get them removed. She had a fecal smear done fhe first time (it wasn't a true smear) it came back negative, i sent another one out and hopefully i get it back soon. Hopefully the swelling stops soon. Im afraid she'll lose trust with me, but so far she has done good with taking her medication with too many issues. If anyone can help me figure out what it is i will be eternally grateful

Attached Files:

8. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Boas are pretty resilient creatures for the most part.

She might be a little grouchy if she feels bad, but once she feels better, she will very likely go back to her normal, sweet self.

I did a rescue a few years back, and the snake was so sick they couldn't put him under for surgery - so he was operated, stitched, etc. while he was awake.

He was still a sweetheart through the whole 2 months of rehab, and still is now, 2 years later.

9. Chimeran

Chimeran Member

Update #2 apparently she is now a he. He had his sutures removed and the inflammation came back the next day, its being caused by his hemipenes pushing on the insides of the vwnt tissue and ita just kind of stretching out. He had a hemipene amputation this afternoon, and he will be coming home tonight. Next week he has an appointment to see how it's healing, I hope he gets better soon, i need a break from worrying. If anyone wants prices of the procedures that have been done or pictures i will bw happy to give them

10. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

well, I hope the surgery alleviates some of the pressure, and allows your poor BOY to heal up.

I'll be interested in hearing test results. I'm curious if they have any idea what was causing the pressure and swelling to begin with.