This Disappears When Logged In

Boa Cobstrictor "Egg"?

Discussion in 'Boas *General*' started by EricBell, Aug 13, 2014.

1. EricBell

EricBell New Member

Before the laughter starts, let me say that I have been an amateur Herpetologist for many years (over 30) and in addition to owning many reptiles, I actually owned a Reptile store in Chicago. I have had many pythons and boa constrictors so I know that generally, pythons lay eggs and boas have "live birth".

I have two boa constrictors that I received from a "kill" shelter. They call me when reptiles are seized by the local or state police. One had stopped eating for a couple of months. Since the body mass was good and I could not detect any other problems (except mites which is a continued problem) I did not worry much.

Two days ago I found 7 masses in the cage which were about 3 inches long and about 1.5 inches around. They look like brown eggs. They are firm an have the feel of plastic but definitely came out of the boa. I have no idea what these are. Can anyone help me determine what they are? Boa Eggs01.jpg Boa Eggs02.jpg

2. EriksExotics

EriksExotics Elite Member

Hey. Those are called slugs and are basically the equivalent of a boa constrictor miscarriage. Boa Constrictors are what is referred to as ovoviviparous/live bearing (same thing). That means they kind of.. lay eggs inside of themselves and incubate the babies inside of their bodies until birth to make a long story short. Those brown, sweet potato looking eggs that came out are undeveloped babies. The reason the mom wasn't eating is more than likely because she was pregnant. Now that she's dropped her slugs feed her a nice big rat and give her a stress free and properly set up environment to live in since giving birth, even to a few slugs can be tiring and stressful for that girl.

3. EricBell

EricBell New Member

Thanks for the info. You can never be too old to learn. I had a feeling that could be the problem but knowing that boas can give birth to 15 or 20 young, I was confused about the seven "slugs" that came out. Also you were correct about another item. Last night she ate for the first time in a couple of months. Thanks again.

4. EriksExotics

EriksExotics Elite Member

No problem, glad to help! Btw, Boas can have anywhere from 0 to 50 live babies! 15-20 is just an average litter size