This Disappears When Logged In

Boa Becoming More Aggressive

Discussion in 'Hog Island Boas' started by jonathan.piazza91, Jul 26, 2018.

1. jonathan.piazza91

jonathan.piazza91 Active Member

I wanted to post a couple photos of my Hog Island boa to share with everyone. I purchased her from a breeder in San Diego in early 2017 as a hatchling. I do not weigh her, but she has grown and continues to grow substantially. I am not into power feeding. She has been on appropriately size f/t rats since I've had her and has just recently started eating small sized rats. Previously she worked from fuzzies up to weaned and I have also slowly decreased the frequency from every 7 days originally to now every 12 days. She has clean sheds and defecates regularly. She is currently in a 40 gallon breeder but I am looking to move her into an AP T8 or larger in the near future. The cool side of her cage sits at 70-75 depending on time of year, warm side in the mid 80s with a basking temp of 92-95. I have the garbage plastic temp dials on each side but also have an infrared temp gun that I check with frequently. I struggle to monitor humidity but mist the cage 4-5 times a week and always keep the water dish topped off with clean water below her heat lamp. I give her soaks every 10-15 days in a shallow 82-85 degree bath tub. She has a hide on both sides of her enclosure. She has always been very easy to handle but in the past 2 months has become very aggressive inside her cage and strikes at the glass anytime someone passes by. Once she is out of her cage, she mellows down. Anyone else notice this type of behavior in a growing boa and have any suggestions on how to reduce the cage aggression? I feed her in her cage and have thought about buying a tote to feed her in. I've also read a little about people putting tshirts in the cage to help with scent identification??? I'm open to try anything. I don't handle her super frequently but like to take her out between feedings just to keep her tame. Thanks for any help!

IMG_20180604_152702171.jpg IMG_20180715_170734628.jpg

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

My first guess, assuming nothing in the environment in or out of the cage has changed, would be that it is hungry. Move the feedings back up to once a week until her growth starts to slow down.

3. jonathan.piazza91

jonathan.piazza91 Active Member

Thanks, I'll give that a try.