This Disappears When Logged In

Blue Tongued Skink Setup

Discussion in 'Skinks' started by KelloggCornsnakes, Apr 19, 2015.

1. KelloggCornsnakes

KelloggCornsnakes Established Member

We're getting a Blue Tongued Skink from the Tucson Reptile Rescue on Sunday. Super excited! She (I'm pretty sure) is around 2.

The enclosure is only 3 ft. by 2 ft. for now, but once we build another lid and buy more Cypress Mulch, we'll expand it to 6 ft. by 4 ft. What do you guys think of the setup?

Attached Files:

2. KelloggCornsnakes

Almost forgot - what kind of B.T.S. do you guys think she is? She's very pretty :) 11156412_938508649523569_5037566795039791539_n.jpg

3. KelloggCornsnakes

3 ft. by 4 ft.* Whoops!

4. lisas

lisas Elite Member

She looks like an Australian b.t.s. to me but I'm not sure... The setups hides look somewhat small to me but I can't really tell from the picture. Flat stones that retain heat under the basking spot would be ideal. Cypress mulch can be harmful; I would use reptile bark (you can use wipeout to wash & reuse it) mixed with coconut fiber. It needs to be deep enough for them to burrow if they choose. Your water bowl looks small. Many skinks enjoy a bath in their water bowl and (unfortunately for us) like to use it as a toilet! What are your temps and humidity? It looks like you are using uvb/uva lights, which I believe in although some claim that skinks don't need it. It is excellent that you chose a rescue. Best of luck! Let me know what you name her. I have an indo. named "Blotchey".

5. KelloggCornsnakes

It's 50/50 "forest floor" and Cypress mulch. The cork hide is about 1 foot long, and the half log hide is about 1 1/2 ft. long. Is that too small? The substrate is about 3-5 inches deep, so she can burrow. There's a rock under the basking spot. The basking spot reaches about 90-100 F., and I'm not sure what the humidity is... Thanks! I'm not sure what to name her yet!

6. KelloggCornsnakes

It's 50/50 "forest floor" and Cypress mulch. The cork hide is about 1 foot long, and the half log hide is about 1 1/2 ft. long. Is that too small? The substrate is about 3-5 inches deep, so she can burrow. The water dish is large (it was $32!), she can fit in it! There's a rock under the basking spot. The basking spot reaches about 90-100 F., and I'm not sure what the humidity is... Thanks! I'm not sure what to name her yet!

7. lisas

lisas Elite Member

It all sounds good - my skink is 2 feet long head to tip of tail, but he curls up in his hides and seems comfortable. I confused cypress mulch with cedar - sorry. Cedar isn't good for them to breathe in but I know nothing about cypress mulch. I couldn't tell about the water dish from picture but glad it's large. You need a hygrometer to measure your humidity. The temp. is correct - hopefully you are using a digital thermo. with a probe on the basking rock. The cool side should be around 70 degrees. Have fun with her! Gotta go take my skink out now!

8. KelloggCornsnakes

Thanks! Someone recommended Cypress Mulch for skinks on a different forum, so it should be good. I'll buy a hydrometer when we have the chance! Thanks ^_^

9. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

Yeah cypress is fine. Its not great at holding humidity by itself, though.