This Disappears When Logged In

Blue Iguanas Killed at Facility at Grand Cayman

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by Desiree, May 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

Re: Blue Iguanas Killed at Facility at Grand Cayma

Trying to understand why someone would do this is to understand the enigma of madness. Several years ago we had a serial killer of cats in my area. people would come home to find their cats laying in the yard like they were sleeping. Upon closer inspection they found that their animals were dead, and they were cut in half! The situation was big local news for a while. I never heard whether they caught any one.

2. darkrapture

darkrapture Member

Sad thing is, if they do find the perps, they will probably get away with just a slap on the wrist (small fine) and possibly jail time. iUam heartbroken to hear about this tragedy!

3. 30mm

30mm Elite Member

It disgusts me how somebody could do this. It disgusts me even more to know that if they are caught justice will not be brought upon them like it should. Absolutely despicable...(shakes head)

4. aspirinhead

aspirinhead New Member

Re: Blue Iguanas Killed

Hi All,

I am John Marotta, Warden for Blue Iguana Recovery Program, Grand Cayman.

Thanks.

This is the link to the press release as it is on our web page:

Blue Iguana Recovery Program

I have been overwhelmed by all the support/calls/correspondence that we have received. I am trying to return all the messages from around the world so this is a quickie. A more detailed post will be added by me at the end of tomorrow.

Peace,

John Marotta
    Blue Iguana Recovery Program

5. SurvivorSteph

SurvivorSteph Subscribed User Premium Member

Thanks for the link, Des. I checked the BIRP site as soon as I got home and saw the update. My mother is going to be very upset when she reads the news release.

For those speculating about punishment: If I'm not mistaken, killing ANY iguana on Grand Cayman Island is a serious crime, and punishment is fairly harsh.

That is from Cayman Islands - Grand Cayman, Cayman Brac and Little Cayman, Travel and Tourism Site and relates to marine life. I'm certain that the punishment for the Blues would be similar (greater, even?) because of their critically endangered status.

Thanks for the post, John! Can you tell us what the penalty for killing/injuring ONE of the Blues might be?

By the way, I'll see you in a few weeks... my mother and I will be volunteering from May 23 through June 2.

6. nicole

nicole Elite Member

That is absolutely heartbreaking! Total senseless act..........

7. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

I still can't even think of words to express my shock at some people.... All I can think is "WHY?"

8. venus

venus Founding Member

That is terrible. The killers will get their's in due time. :(

9. sleep_deprived

sleep_deprived Elite Member

I just found out about this horrible tragedy...and i can't stop crying...
    I sincerely hope they find those sick *&%$!

10. Desiree

Desiree Subscribed User Premium Member

The BIRP website has been updated to reflect the latest news, blogs, and radio interviews (Fred Burton), as well as accept comments from the community.

To my knowledge, Pedro's body has not been found; there are now four injured iguanas recovering: Billy, Elwood, Archie and Matthias.

Information: Blue Iguana Recovery Program
    Donation portal: IRCF

Thank you everyone for their continued support and please continue to spread the news.
    des

11. LuvMyLeo

LuvMyLeo Active Member

This is sick. It's beyond me how these people can justify their actions in killing innocent defenseless animals. I wish BIRP a strong recovery from this tragedy, and maybe this will raise better awareness about animal cruelty issues in general.

12. Shannon Plummer

Shannon Plummer New Member

Hi Desiree,

Like you I am completely devastated by the news. I am posting on Australian Reptile Forums to bring attention to BIRP and IRCF encouraging donations. It's a sad fact but I hope funding pours in to allow for necessary security to be put in place.

I had a special place in my heart for Pedro and learning his body still has not been found is heart-breaking. I wanted to post some photos in his memory that I took while there last October.

I hope the perpetrators are found swiftly and dealt with harshly.

R.I.P.

Pedro -
    [​IMG]

Pedro Eating a Noni Fruit-
    [​IMG]

Patting Pedro -
    [​IMG]

13. SurvivorSteph

SurvivorSteph Subscribed User Premium Member

Welcome to HCN, Shannon. Even if it is under such circumstances, we're glad you're here.

14. Shannon Plummer

Shannon Plummer New Member

Thanks Steph,

I appreciate the kind welcome.

[​IMG]

15. Fanner

Fanner Elite Member

This is absolutely sickening. I don't even know what else to say. So sad, what a waste.... :mad:

16. barnkat

barnkat Elite Member

This is so sad. The cruelty of some never ceases to shock me.

17. gizbo

gizbo Member

This is disgusting:mad: I cant believe how anyone in their right mind could do such a barbaric slaughter of these beautiful animals. Even a drug addict to do this must have a very warped sense of reality. Heartbreaking to think of all the hard work these people have put in to have it destroyed by some maniac:mad:

18. ashwee

ashwee New Member

:mad: that is horribly upsetting.

19. 904cresteds

904cresteds Elite Member

Thats so sad..I see kids in my area pulling tails and legs off anoles while theie parents just watch and say (put that down before you get stuff on your clothes). This is bigger and more tragic. I hope they still have some breeding pairs left. The law wont dont anything but fine them or give them 2 to 5 years or just release them early. Most of us humans only act in when one of our own is killed or injured. Sadly we cant do the same with the animals that were here before us ...the ones that we kick out so we can build or sell for $$$ :/

20. ryanpb

ryanpb Elite Member

Maybe when the perpetrators are discovered someone will go all Vigilante on them. We can only hope.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.