This Disappears When Logged In

Blue Iguanas Killed at Facility at Grand Cayman

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by Desiree, May 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Desiree

Desiree Subscribed User Premium Member

It is with great sadness that I am posting this. I received this notification from John Binns this afternoon. This is another blow to BIRP, as in 2006, 3 founder animals were killed by stray dogs. This violence is senseless, initated by humans.

Horrific news from the Blue Iguana Recovery Program that occurred last night May 3rd, 2008.

Vandals broke into the Blue Iguana Breeding Facility last night and violently killed at least five of the most prominent captive Blue Iguanas.

Listed of the known dead are:

Eldemire
    Sara
    Digger
    Yellow
    Pedro

Other Blues have been injured but to what extent is yet unknown. “Billy’ and “Jessica” are two of the injured.

Photo of each have been attached. These are images of the plaques that were to be placed on each of their pens currently in shipment to Grand Cayman. Des Note: I didn't attached the photos in this post

The animals were all maimed by being stepped on or knifed. There was amputation of some parts. At least one body found outside the pens in the tour staging area.

Police and government are on the scene.

Fred indicates these Blues were not in their retreats, and those that were, were spared. Those killed were friendly and welcomed humans.

Current speculation is the vandals were teenagers on drugs and/or alcohol. Some have been recently turned away from the park, and since then broken bottles have been strewn along the road leading into the park.

Fred will issue a local press release tomorrow with all the details, and following that an international press release.

BIRP will hold a special burial service for the victims. Needless to say we are all devastated.

Those wishing to make a donation toward the memorial should use this contribution port: https://ircf.org/donate.php Select “Blue Iguana Recovery Program” in the dropdown button in the lower right.

John

2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Re: Blue Iguanas Killed at Facility at Grand Cayma

I hope they find who perpetrated these crimes. That's horrible.

3. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

That sucks bad, links to where the pics are?

4. Desiree

I'll have to upload them somewhere. These are photos of the animals that were to be used for signage :(

5. beefcakemighty

beefcakemighty Elite Member

WOW.... why???? There's no reason for killing animals.....That makes me pi****:mad:

6. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

That's very sad news. Definitely a big blow to the program.

7. ryanpb

ryanpb Elite Member

That's disgusting, It's not like there was any reason to kill these animals, this is the kind of behavior that make me think, future serial killers. If I had my way, I'd string all those guilty up, and by "string them up"....
    ...I mean with a noose.

8. tlh9162

tlh9162 Elite Member

That would be too easy. Too bad the law does not allow you to do the same cruelties to them that the poor iggies had to suffer.

9. beefcakemighty

beefcakemighty Elite Member

heh...

10. nicole

nicole Elite Member

That's just disgusting!

11. kcftlaud08

kcftlaud08 Elite Member

I am greatly disgusted and hope that karma takes its toll. I have no faith in justice. I agree with Ryan. I think: serial killers in the making. If you can harm a defensless animal than it is not that great a leap to armed robbery, rape and murder. Sorry, just my belief. Jeffrey Dahmer and Ted Bundy started with small animals.

12. SurvivorSteph

SurvivorSteph Subscribed User Premium Member

What a tragedy! Our trip has taken on a somber note! :(

Des, where was John's original post made? I've looked on the IRCF and BIRP sites, and cannot find mention of this yet.

Thanks for getting me a link.

13. Desiree

Steph: The note came directly from John to my email box.

Sadly, just found out from Fred Burton that Jessica passed.

sigh......

I think I will need to make a trip to Cayman, maybe this August, timing with Daytona.

14. ajvw

ajvw Subscribed User

How horrible! It's truly astounding what humans can be capable of. Poor creatures to be treated like that! And to damage a wonderful program as well. I hope the perpetrators are caught.

15. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

so sad...

16. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

This is completely disgusting! How could anyone DO such a thing?? It just baffles me.

17. Desiree

Blue Iguana Recovery Program News - Press Release

The BIRP website has been updated with the official press release. There is a link a photo of four of the Blues - please note that this is a very sad photo - broke my heart to see them (Yellow, Sara, Eldemire and Digger)

Blue Iguana Recovery Program

18. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

Those poor beautiful creatures :(

19. SpecterGT260

SpecterGT260 Elite Member

I'm confused a little, were these just bored kids that wanted to cause trouble, or something bigger going on? We get strange activists that will come into our labs every once in awhile to release the rodents or whatever, all animals are then subsequently destroyed if they weren't killed or injured in the process of the vandalism.

This seems a little extreme for casual vandalism...... either way it's terrible.

20. ryanpb

ryanpb Elite Member

I don't see even the most extreme of animal Activists doing this, maybe some wacko religous group. There are groups out there that believe that if a species goes extinct it was "God"(s) will, but I still don't see them doing something like this.
    From what I read in the article it seems the police think most likely it was kids/teenagers that broke in and did this.

I hope they catch them, and I hope they get more then just a slap on the wrist and a big fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.