This Disappears When Logged In

Blue Iguana Pooping Out Dead Worms

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by Ktgrandchamp, Jan 8, 2016.

1. Ktgrandchamp

Ktgrandchamp Member

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg So I've had my blue iguana for about a month and he didn't eat or poop till we took him to the vet about two weeks ago. we had him de wormed and were given emeraid that we have to forcibly feed him with a syringe each morning because he still won't eat by himself. He started pooping about a week and a half ago. He has now started having large white worms appear in his poop sometimes for the last three days. They are not moving but he has been pooping in his water so we don't know if they're dead or just drowning before we can see them alive. I just kind of want to know if him popping them out is good or not. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated. Thanks

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

After a deworming it is normal to see dead worms in the feces. Which as a matter of fact your vet should have told you about.
    After your deworming regimen you will need to take in a fecal sample to ensure that the parasite load is reduced.

3. Ktgrandchamp

Ktgrandchamp Member

Thanks. Our vet is away and no other vet will tell us anything or give us any advice without him being a patient. Our vet never told us anything about him pooping out worms so again thank you for answering what no one else could. We are planning on taking him back but is there a way to collect the stool sample while it in water cause that's where he's been pooping lately.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I would really try to get one without the water. You may have to remove the water bowl when you are going to collect it. and the sample should be collected no more than 24 hours ahead of time, put in a baggie and refrigerated, but not frozen.

5. fluffaloo

fluffaloo New Member

How is he now? Also, I would recommend removing your substrate, it decreases the risk of any infection, it makes a cleaner environment, its safe so he doesn't eat the substrate, and it saves money.

6. Ktgrandchamp

Ktgrandchamp Member

He's ok now. The substrate has been changed to outdoor carpeting for the last three months sorry I haven't answered this. Appears to no longer have worms after being dewormed four times. image.jpeg

7. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

That's great news, thanks for the update! Glad you got rid of those worms.

8. fluffaloo

fluffaloo New Member

Great Im glad he is doing better thanks for the update