This Disappears When Logged In

Blue Iguana Not Eating

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by Arcadia, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Arcadia

Arcadia New Member

IMG_20171224_165348.jpg IMG_20180105_183310.jpg IMG_20171223_164743.jpg I have a Blue Iguana that seem to not be eating as it was when I brought him home. Purchased him from the horrible place of Petco, I feel bad for the way it was being housed and alone so I brought it home. He is a baby only 3 to 4 months that old. He is currently in a 40 gal glass aquarium with a screened lockable top until his enclosure is completely done(it's being made) He eats all fresh greens and fruits ( fruits not daily). Well he was eating almost everything then seems to have stopped. I change food and water daily and there is always so much left as before it was almost gone. Now I know I've heard and read things about Petco reptiles and it's completely unfair, could he just be stressed? He is handled daily but he goes crazy when I remove the lid to either catch him or fix his food or water. He/she just shedded alot. Any advice would be appreciated

Attached Files:

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

How long have you had it? And what are the temperatures?
    Your comments confuse me. Iguanas should be housed alone. They are not a communal animal.

3. Arcadia

Arcadia New Member

How did I confuse you?! Heating is around 85 degrees and humidity is about 80. He is housed alone. I've had it alittle over a month and I've held him daily.

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, I doubt very much the iguana is only 3 or 4 months of age, I suspect it`s quite a bit older than that?
    There is no way you can control the heat or humidity in a fishtank with a screen top, you must cover that as completely as possible (you can use kitchen foil/similar) even then the tank is totally unsuitable other than VERY temporarily.
    I would also like to ask what the ambient (air) and basking surface temps are plus the humidity range, and what you use to measure all those and what type of heat/lighting you provide?
    Can you put a few up of the whole enclosure?
    You are causing the animal much stress by forcibly handling it, you need to allow as much time as necessary for it to fully acclimate to the enclosure, for now you should just be leaving food and fresh water.
    Every day that the conditions don`t fully support it will have a detrimental effect on it`s health.

AmityReptiles likes this.
  5. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

This made it seem like you didn't want the iguana to be kept alone.

6. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

Maybe he meant he would take him home and be his friend so he wouldn't be "alone". I get that, even though they are solitary...

7. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

That's how I interpreted it too I was just trying to suggest why the original post could have been confusing :)

AmityReptiles likes this.
  8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

"I feel bad for the way it was being housed and alone".
    This is what I was referring to.
    And I agree. That iguana is not 3 or 4 months old.
    You need a basking spot of 90 to 95 degrees. But you need a different gauge. Those analog gauges are junk.
    What are you trying to feed it?
    You are stressing the iguana out. By all the handling and chasing around the cage you assume the behavior of a predator. Add to that the fact that it is in way too small of an enclosure which makes it feel cornered. Leave it alone until it starts to feed.

Darkbird and AmityReptiles like this.
  9. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

I agree with the above, the forced handling needs to stop right away. That is not the iguana relaxing, it is in the final stage of a fear response, where all it can do is close it's eyes and hope the giant scary thing goes away. Worry about fixing the cage issues and letting it calm down, you can work on taming later.

Atroxus likes this.
  10. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

It's very hard to help people who take well meant and expert advice as a personal criticism.
    Unfortunately, the animals are the ones to suffer due to the offended closing off and drawing back of their new owners.
    We humans need to start growing some horny scales and stop being so tender skinned.