This Disappears When Logged In

Blood Python Question

Discussion in 'Blood Pythons' started by crepers86, Jun 18, 2011.

1. crepers86

crepers86 Elite Member

I have a question. I have noticed that blood pythons and Redtail Columbian Boas have a Head that looks about the same., it almost reminds me of a cross between a ball Python and a Columbian boa excep that the body of a blood has a more stockier built body. Is it posible that the two species of snakes have relations?

2. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

I don't really think it is possible. Boas and pythons are different in that boas are live bearing and pythons lay eggs. Granted, this may be the only difference other than location- Colombian boas are from, well, Colombia and blood pythons are I believe from Sumatra or somewhere close to there. Being different types (boa vs. python) if a breeding did occur, I am not sure the sperm would be viable. I am not 100% sure( just guessing actually) so if someone can give a fact based answer I would appreciate it also.

3. crepers86

crepers86 Elite Member

David have you noticed that in any way? I mean I know boas are live bareing snakes and the two prob couldnt breed, I am just woundering if their might be any close relation something like an evolution proscess or a simeler blood line, or is it just coincidence

4. David McConley

No, I don't know for sure. Just going by the fact that in the few years I have been doing research on them, I have never heard of even the possibility of the two types breeding. Perhaps in some mad scientists lab or something done by geneticists, but other than that nothing.

5. annaj328

annaj328 Elite Member

its more likely a case of convergent evolution rather than distant relations. ps. i think blood pythons are absolutely gorgeous and i want one one day :)

6. crepers86

crepers86 Elite Member

Yes I agree they are completely Beautiful animals. I like the short and stockness of them wih the head compared to a Redtail C. Boa reminds me of a cross between a RCB and BP...

7. CdnBlood

CdnBlood Member

If you get to spend more time with both of these species, you'll start to notice how different their head structure really is. Oh sure, they both have mouths, eyes and nostrils, but the shape of their heads is really quite different. Bloods have very flat heads while a boa's head is more robust.

Another difference is their eyes - boa eyes tend to blend to their facial markings while P. brongersmai eyes blend so much that you can barely see them by the time the snake is mature. One thing you can count on about their eyes is that they'll watch you *very* intently and if you happen to make direct eye contact with a Blood, it'll stop dead in it's tracks whereas most boas couldn't care less. Of course, P. breitensteini and P. curtus have very vibrantly coloured eyes that really stand out, so that's a further difference, with the latter being a screaming orange colour, just for the record :cool:

8. David McConley

Just a quick heads-up...this thread is about 16 month old.

9. CdnBlood

CdnBlood Member

Yup, but it still might be valuable information for anyone reading it in the future :)

10. David McConley

Very true. I found it to be very interesting. I just didn't want you to be too surprised if you didn't get a lot of feedback. Thank you for the info. ;)