This Disappears When Logged In

Blood Python Not Eating

Discussion in 'Blood Pythons' started by TheDude, Oct 5, 2014.

1. TheDude

TheDude Member

I recently ordered a blood python hatchlings off backwater reptiles 3 weeks ago and she seems to not ever want to eat every time I attempt. She seems healthy and active whenever I held her. I have only handled her twice since I got her and have attempted about twice the second week I got her and twice the third, her humidity levels and temp are at the right zones, is her enclosure to big? I'm not sure what could be causing it
    (She normally hides under the water bowl)

image.jpg image.jpg

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Need you to answer a couple questions before we can help. What are the hotspot and cool end temps, and what is the actual humidity, and how are you measuring them. Also what are you attempting to feed and how are you going about it? A couple weeks isn't too long, it may still be settling in, but I would recommend that you not handle it until it's eating regularly.

3. crunchsupreme

crunchsupreme Member

Bloods can be very picky eaters also. Size of the meal can affect their willingness to eat. Ive also heard of snakes refusing white mice but will eat black ones, and vice versa. Like darkbird said though humidity and temp make a huge difference with bloods.

4. TheDude

TheDude Member

hot side(under the moss) is 88-90 degrees. The cool side, (under the waterbowl) is normally around 82-85 and humidty is normally at 60% 70%. Ive been trying to feed her thawed fuzzies
    When i feed her i place her in a 10 gallon aquarium, although last time i tried(today) i tried feeding her in her enclosure but she turned away from it

5. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Ok, what was she eating before you got her? And are we talking rat fuzzies or mouse fuzzies? She looks large enough for rat pups or small mice, and if she was on live before you might have to work at it some to get her switched to frozen. Also, why are you trying to use a seperate feeding container? Not criticizing, but it really shouldn't be necessary. And it can add stress, which might prevent them from wanting to eat.

6. TheDude

TheDude Member

I did that because the whole "snakes associating opening the top=feeding time" which i recently found out was a myth(I know im late:p) but ive tried mice fuzzies which is what the breeder (Backwater reptiles, also recently found out they arent a very good breeder) told me she was feeding on. I tried a thawed hopper mouse today and it seemed to get a lot more of a response out of her, she smelled it and was breathing heavy but then kinda just stared blankly at it for a good while

7. BoaBoyKD

BoaBoyKD Active Member

I don't know much about blood pythons but I do know that back water reptiles is a bad place get your animals from. I've heard plenty of bad things about the way they care for their animals. Good luck with the python though.

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

It may be a case of what you are attempting to feed isn't big enough to make it worth the trouble. Some snake s are like that.

Its hard to say from the photos but judging from that water bowl that snake could take adult mice or rat pups. Can you post a photo of the snake with something as a size reference. A dollar bill for instance.

9. TheDude

TheDude Member

I wasnt really able to keep her still but this is the best i got
    photo (3).JPG

10. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Ok, this is just me, but I don't even start my ball python hatchlings on something as small as mouse fuzzies, so I'd bet this snake just doesn't see them as worth the effort. She should be able to take adult mice, or a good size rat pup without issue. And make sure that it is thoroughly warmed up. My blood will only take F/T if it's nice and warm. In fact I usually have to run the feeders head under hot water for a bit to get it warm enough to interest him. Can't say anything about where you got it from, though from the sound of it I would keep this animal seperate from any other reptiles you might have.

11. GoingPostal

GoingPostal Member

You are running it too hot, 80-82 is about perfect for them, I would also add some hides, crumpled paper or a substrate it can burrow in. Don't move it to another enclosure to feed. Both my short tails took awhile before they would take a feeder off tongs but if I left it in there it would be eaten within a few hours and once they had gotten several feedings under their belt now take meals off tongs like champs. I warm them up with a hair dryer to 100 degrees, they like them hot. Babies are usually started on rat pups or small mice, my blood is 4 months old, 177 grams last month and taking 20 gram pups. Did you get any records as far as how she was eating with the breeder?

12. TheDude

TheDude Member

She struck for the first time for me today at a thawed adult mouse but let go after she didnt get a good bite on it and refused to take it or acknowledge it afterd: I guess ill just wait a couple more days and try again.

13. TheDude

TheDude Member

She ate today:)
    I gave her a fresh killed mouse and she took it almost right away. Could this be because i have to heat up the frozen ones more? Ive ran them under hot water thawed for about 5 minutes, blow dried them, did about everything i could to get the temp up. Could she just not like frozen?

14. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

It may just be a matter of temperature. I know people who have to use heat on their FT for ball pythons.

15. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

I know with my boy he won't even look at a frozen unless the head is really warm. I usually have to use strait hot water, which in my house is around 140°, for several seconds, then get the feeder to him quickly. I've had to heat the same rat 2 or 3 times before to get him to take it. He hits like a run away truck when it's warm enough though.