This Disappears When Logged In

Blood On Bedding When Breeding

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by Atroxus, Apr 8, 2018.

1. Atroxus

Atroxus Well-Known Member

I have a pair of adult ball pythons that I started breeding recently for the first time. I have been putting the male in with the female once a week, and once they unlock I separate them again. Sometimes when they are together I notice streaks of dried blood on the bedding when I check on them. The first time I immediately separated them and checked them both for injuries. I found no signs of injury anywhere and could not identify the source of the blood on either. I did a bit of google searching and found one post that indicated that the females scent their enclosure to entice males to breed and that in the process will evert their cloaca and drag it around, causing abrasions and slight bleeding. This seems a viable explanation since one of them has peed right before they lock up every time. Another post indicated that sometimes the male will expose his hemipenes and get abrasions before they actually lock up. This also seems logical. So far the bleeding is limited to when I have them together, and the amounts are small. Just little streaks of dried blood.

I was unable to find additional information to support or refute these assertions though, so I figured I would run it by the people here. What do you all think? Does it sound like just part of normal breeding? Or it it something I should investigate further, and/or consult a vet for?

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Well I haven't noticed this with mine, but they are all on coconut or cypress or some combination, and I could easily be missing it. But it doesn't sound too serious, just keep an eye on the situation and you should be fine.