This Disappears When Logged In

Bloated Female Ball Python?

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by BeyondUno, Oct 19, 2012.

1. BeyondUno

BeyondUno Well-Known Member

Hi. So today I was handling my female ball python today and she felt bloated? I could be wrong tho is there any way to feel and determine if she is or not? And is it bad?

2. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Not sure what you mean by bloated... What makes you think that? When was the last time she ate? Is it the rodent still being digested possibly? After eating they just hang out in a warm place and don't really move till the lump goes down.

3. justor

justor Elite Member

Can you see the skin between her scales or something? How old is she? Do you have a picture?

4. BeyondUno

Like aIot of extra "fat" that I'm able to pinch? She ate this past Monday. Maybe it's just my imagination. I will be taking her to the vet when possible to get her checked to make sure everything is going good.

No skin between scales as far as I know. I'll post pics later tonight.

5. alpine

alpine Elite Member

How about posting a picture so that we can see. With close ups so that we can get a good look at her scales. That would really help so that we could tell you what might be going on.

6. justor

justor Elite Member

If you're able to pinch her fat I would say that "bloated" is the wrong word for what you are trying to describe. A bloated snake would feel quite firm and the skin would seem to be stretched out. Like a balloon. Hence my question about seeing the skin between her scales.

How old is she? If she is a young snake she might just be putting on more weight which is normal for a ball python approaching maturity.

7. JoeyG

Now I'm curios to see the photo....

8. BeyondUno

heres some pics guys! she pooped and peed normally today as well. I am not 100% sure on her age but about 10-11months? she was supposely 3months when I bought her back in March. She measures near 3ft.
    20121020_001144.jpg 20121020_001203.jpg 20121020_001248.jpg 20121020_002138.jpg 20121020_002203.jpg 20121020_002207.jpg

Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
  9. alpine

alpine Elite Member

She seems just fine honestly. I don't see any bloating.

10. JoeyG

I have to agree, she looks good actually. Is she acting uncomfortable? Has she pooped regularly, some snakes hold a few meals for sometime, they look like they're going to explode for a bit till they go. Yours seems fine to me from the pics.

11. BeyondUno

Well thats good to hear! I think its just been a while since I handled her due me being busy so my imagination got the best of me lol. Shes acting fine, active, eating, and yes pooping regularly. Thanks everybody for the input;)

12. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

She's beautiful and looks in perfect shape to me :)

13. BeyondUno

thank you very much. I have learned alot from this forum and all the reading done but even now and then you learn new stuff about these beautiful snakes, hard not to worry:)

14. JoeyG

I agree people here are really helpful :) I've learned a lot just by reading and it's good to see people asking questions because it always mean they care.