This Disappears When Logged In

Blind or bad vision?

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by Rakoladycz, Sep 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

My sister's friend just got a baby red eared slider recently and are afraid that he is blind or fairly close to it. he doesnt react to ppl or any thing that is around him and we feel very bad for it

We have tried like swiping our fingers by him fast to see if he notices it and jumps into his shell but we get no reaction. And im not sure but in his left eye it seems like he might be able to slightly see or maybe tell that there are lights kindof how the blind do.

Now is it because he is still so young (only like 4 weeks) or is he more than likely blind? and if he's blind what can she do to hellp him.

To make things as easy as possible on him we have made the water very shallow (bout 2 inches deep with plenty of rocks all around for land) and we give him more than enough food to make it easier to find individual pieces.

And i haven't witnessed this yet but my sister's friend says that he doesnt eat.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

2. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

First question is where did they get it. It is illegal to buy a turtle less than 4" (with the exception of being for educational purposes). Second at that age it may still be living off it's yolk sack and may not eat yet. As for the vision, it should have come out of the shell able to see so there is probably a serious issue. A blind turtle isn't necessarily going to perish but it is going to take some work and patience. I keep turtles and have not encountered one that couoldn't see. It may be time to consult a vet.
    Keep us informed.

3. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

He hasn't eaten at all ??? most reptiles need an adjustment period to new
    surroundings but they should respond defensively,,,,,more so in one that's a baby.
    Give it a few days to adjust and try too feed him again

4. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.