This Disappears When Logged In

Black Throat Not Eating

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by Tattoosbyzoo, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Tattoosbyzoo

Tattoosbyzoo Well-Known Member

Ok so i normal feed my black throat every other day or atleast 3 times a week both crickets roaches an occasionally fuzzies. I fed him last about a week and a half ago 3 fuzzies. He normally chows anything i put in there but now i cant get him to eat a thing. His temps are all good. The only thing i can think of is a parasite from a bad fuzzy maybe? He seems a lil more lathargic then usual but it might just be me over analyzing. Any thoughts?

2. Erwynn

Erwynn Elite Member

How old is he/she? Is it in shed?

3. Tattoosbyzoo

About 8 months i think and hes about a foot long including tail. He actually just finished shedding around the time he stopped eating but i thought there eating was slower during the shed?

4. Erwynn

Erwynn Elite Member

Might just not be hungry, I know my black throat isn't interested sometimes and he's a pretty good eater.

Unless he's not being himself in temperament, I wouldn't be concerned. Give him a couple days.

Try giving him a good warm soak in the tub or a basin and see if it helps. Maybe he's constipated?

5. jtwilson3

jtwilson3 Elite Member

What do you mean the temps are all good? Tell us what they are in all spots. Also the cage size, etc.

6. bighog85

bighog85 Elite Member

A monitor should NEVER refuse food if it is healthy. It is almost always a husbandry problem that we humans like to attribute to parasites or something out of our control. If your temps are good, cage size is good, substrate is good, and humidity is good, you should have an animal that will eat any time food is offered. I don't want to take your word for it on the parameters so why don't you put them up here. Also, how are you measuring everything?

7. Tattoosbyzoo

K the size is a 6x3x3 hes only a foot long the general temp is about 85 and 75 at night i have two lamps a 75watt and a 125 watt at 90 and 130 degrees he spends half the time under the 125 and in the cave. The only behavior ive seen him change is he allows me to handle him more with trying to run out of my hands. I bought the therm at a pet shop i believe its zoo med but not positive ill check when i go home. He has plenty of water to soak in but its not very warm probly room temp. After mentioning constapation i havent seen any poop which could be from lack of eating but , that would make sense ill try soaking him tonight i havent seen him swim at all for awhile which isnt the norm either :(

8. MDFMONITOR

MDFMONITOR Elite Member

B/T do go off there food on occasions as their growing, i had the same concerns with my b/t as she was growing, fast growth then she'd go off her food for abit then all of a sudden she start on a rampage of eating again.

temps were always correct humidity etc , i was told later by an experience b/t keeper that their known for this behaviour , the only other thing is the substrate/ floor cold that your captive is sat on?

9. Tattoosbyzoo

Yup thanks i just talked to a similar person and he said they are a feast or famine reptile because its similar in the wild with the seasons and food supply. I use coco bark sometimes but mostly a mix of soil and sand

10. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I don't know all about monitors but I do know that they require UVB and if he spends half his time in the cave or under the 125 watt. Maybe he isn't getting enough UVB? Just a thought

11. MDFMONITOR

MDFMONITOR Elite Member

Sometimes the coldness from the floor can travel up through the substrate & cause problems, also to much handling before they become accustomed to you can alter their feeding habits.

It's just a case of sitting back & carefully working it out over time, to many fast changes in their area will slow them down, but again there's exceptions to the rule!

good luck & keep us posted:)

12. SwampDOnkey

SwampDOnkey Well-Known Member

I think something must be up with his husbandry as he is quite small at 1ft and 8 months old. I have one that is 6 1/2 months old and 40" long. Have some shots of the enclosure?

13. MDFMONITOR

MDFMONITOR Elite Member

I'm sure there's something that needs altering in the set-up, Tattoosbyzoo just needs to sit back & work out what's going on in there!

Failing that posting enclosure pics might help sort the problem out quicker, as you know the main problems are wrong temps & handling to much.

14. Tattoosbyzoo

Sorry for the late response he started eating a couple weeks ago eating everything in sight. If i had to guess it was due to shed it just worried me cuz it was after his shed. i asked around and everyone says my monitor is average if u feed him a ton he'll get big really fast and too fast growth can be unhealthy.

15. Tattoosbyzoo

I rarely handle him maybe once every 2 weeks just so he stays use to me. When i go to work ill post pics for u guys but as i said hes eating normally again :)

16. SwampDOnkey

Well, in a word, no. Not every monitor is average size regardless of age. If someone told me they had an animal thats younger and twelve times (or more) more massive than mine, I would be worried. 12 inches at 8 months is extremely small and if its because your only feeding him enough to grow to that size, your animal will be unhealthy and stunted.
    Remember that a monitor will reach 2/3 of its adult size in 1 year under optimal conditions.
    Heed the warning, something is wrong!

17. bighog85

bighog85 Elite Member

You need to keep in mind though that incredibly fast growth is not necessarily a good thing. Growing to fast can cause bone and organ problems because their bodies are not designed to handle it. I agree that this one seems a bit small but I also know that your 2/3 in a year thing is completely wrong. While they can grow that fast, it is not good for them to be forced into dramatic growth. Don't go around warning other people of problems just because they aren't doing what you are. It is obvious that they are aware of what their monitor is taking in and as long as it is eating and growing, it will be fine.

18. SwampDOnkey

Yes, really rapid growth may cause problems but we're not talking about that. We're talkng about an animal that is a fraction of the size it should be. Ask any long-term successful keeper/ breeder of black throats if 1ft at 8 months is normal and they will say NO.
    And about that "2/3 in in one year thing" you need to take it up with Sam Sweet, one of the planet's TOP monitor experts. He can explain growth to you better than I can seeing how he's been studying these lizards almost as long as Ive been alive. In case I didnt mention it, "2/3 of adult length by 1 yr old" was said by him, and I really should have credited him in the remark. Can be seen here:http://www.captivebredreptileforums.co.uk/monitors-big-small/28525-12-24-9-weeks.html

Actually, I can dig up tons of reference from profesional herpetologists, keepers, breeders, etc, that give ranges from 2/3 to 90% of growth in the first year. Also, did you know that these animals should be reproductively mature at 10 months if kept properly? As in able to carry eggs. It is not normal for a 10 month old black throat to almost be able to fit inside one of those eggs they should be capable of carrying.

Sorry bud, YOU are wrong.

And its not "eating and growing", Ok so its grown a little. But we're not talking an animal mass 30% or even 50% below normal....We're talking 1200%-1500% below what ive seen, and not just in my animal, all that were kept in adequate conditions.

How about I list 5 credible references (caresheets, etc) that show this as extremely unusual, and you show one that says its normal? Sound like a plan?

19. SwampDOnkey

I just noticed this. Im not trying to be a jerk, but I think you are misunderstanding me.
    At no point did I suggest that anyone force their animal into dramatic growth. Here are a few shots of my animal. He's never been overfed or "powerfed" to force growth- to the contrary, his diet is tightly controlled and he is lean and healthy as a result. He's just a really big boy.

DSC01238.jpg

DSC01308.jpg

DSC01360.jpg

DSC01378.jpg

To the OP. Im not dogging on you, promise. I just really think theres an issue here thats worth exploring. I have limited experience with Black Throats but have spoken to people who have TONS, and did insane amounts of homework. I would be happy to share with you what worked for me and even direct you to some of the gurus that have decades of experience under their belts. But if you want to just drop it then I'll step off my soap box and leave it be.

Thanks

Attached Files:

20. Tattoosbyzoo

First off what u said makes no sense and completely contradicts yourself you said in one post monitors cant be averaged by growth and then in another you said ask a breeder if 1 ft at months is normal. The key word is normal and normal is what we deduct by comparing averages of all others. This is a scientic fact lol. Ive worked with all sorts of animals since i was very young in and out of zoo's (mostly primates) and none of this makes me even close to an expert but what i do know is that any animal can be compared to others of the same age to average a size along with many other useful data. This is a fact not only with reptiles but other animals, excluding most animals whos growth never stops. This is how we compare data and judge healthy growth just like u would in a child. This is not to say some grow faster or bigger then others. Secondly i didnt buy mine from a breeder so i cant be 100% sure that 8 months is exact thats just what he said but i dont think hed have a reason to lie to me. Thirdly i saw u posting on another forum asking about growth rates recently. for someone who was recently questioning this very same issue not to long ago i dont know why now u argue as if you yourself are now an expert on the matter. I am certainly not!!! but ive given all the husbandry info and have been doing everything that other way more experienced herp owners have told me to do since day one. And not one person has told me im doing anything wrong on this post other then you telling me my monitor is too small heed the warning. What should i do other then over feed him cuz you say its way to small compared to yours?