This Disappears When Logged In

Black Spots on Baby Iguana. Just Got Him 0_o

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by inkstarx, Dec 2, 2012.

1. inkstarx

inkstarx New Member

OK. so, i am a new Iguana owner. hi =) wish i was posting under better circumstances. I have owned many reptiles- Asian water monitor, ball python, boa's, anoles, but i have never heard of the black spot fungus or bacterial infections till now unfortunately.
    i did some research before getting him (apparently not enough), anyways, i am not for sure if these spots are natural or not. i kinda think they are stress perhaps from moving... (hopefully nothing serious). heres a bunch of pictures of him. i have only had him for like 3 days. He's also a picky eater- guy before me made the mistake of ONly feeding it collard greens... *sigh* it ate a little mango but refuses to try anything else i give it. He only freaks out when i get him out of his cage, once he is out he is really calm and lets me hold him (weird).
    IMG_2207.jpg IMG_2208.jpg IMG_2209.jpg IMG_2210.jpg IMG_2211.jpg IMG_2212.jpg IMG_2213.jpg IMG_2214.jpg IMG_2215.jpg IMG_2216.jpg IMG_2217.jpg IMG_2218.jpg IMG_2219.jpg IMG_2220.jpg IMG_2221.jpg IMG_2222.jpg IMG_2223.jpg IMG_2225.jpg IMG_2227.jpg IMG_2228.jpg IMG_2229.jpg
    The spots don't feel crusty or moist, he has not shed yet. there are spots on his head, and speckles all along his body, a few bigger (none circular) black spots on his side. his tail is stripped. it kinda looks natural. The spots on his head are the ones that gave me the intial scare.
    He is in a 20 breeder right now, he has a hammock, food bowl, water dish, i mist him, coco husk covers the ground, but i also have a lot of fake plastic plants covering the bottom because i heard they will try to eat anything- so the coco husk makes me a little nervous. And no he wont be able to eat the plants.
    He is kinda curled up at my side right now sleeping. Oh and his previous owner said he had him for about a month- said he couldn't give him the attention he needed due to work. i paid 40$ for him. idk if any of that's relevant. but ya.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  2. inkstarx

inkstarx New Member

He also has brown stripes on him. if anyone needs more info just let me know. I really hope i am not going to have to take him to a vet just 3 days after getting him....

3. LittleLady

LittleLady Member

Hello!
    I'm new at this to, only 5 months, in but it all looks pretty normal to me.

4. Thor

Thor Elite Member

The brown stripes are completely normal, just a part of how they look. He looks fine to me:) Here's a picture of mine 2 months ago, he has the same stripes and stuff. IMG_1154.jpg

5. Thor

Thor Elite Member

Also please get rid of the substrate and get a terrarium liner or something not edible. They can choke on it.

6. LittleLady

LittleLady Member

Hey! I used to read Stephen King to! Ha!Ha!

7. Thor

Thor Elite Member

He does too! haha He prefers to sit fireside and enjoy his books with a hot cup of tea and a scone.

8. The marks on his side are normal markings but I don't think his head should be that dark. I'm used to seeing little guys with bright coloration's on their neck/head so I think the temps in his enclosure could be too high in his basking spot. Also - reptiles have a hard time breathing when upside down so it's best not to do that. He sure is a cute little guy! I've never had one that small so he seems tiny to me : )

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The coloration looks like a completely normal baby iguana. The strips and speckles are just their coloration. The black spot fungus looks much different and will be very noticeable and sort of fuzzy looking.
    Thats because he is basically playing dead and hoping you will go away. If he gets half a chance he will make a break for it.
    The little buggers are pretty clever about manipulating us.

10. Rebecca Yoxall

Rebecca Yoxall Active Member

11. Rebecca Yoxall

I just got my baby iguana I blew up the picture huge so people could see it his head is shiny because I have Neosporin on after his bath everyday I put a dab of Betadine on it let it dry and then Neosporin because he had a brown cross all over his head and nose like a scab that has all come off and now this is what his head looks like is this normal I am concerned about the dark spots they are not fuzzy or anything I'm just worried

12. Rebecca Yoxall

13. Rebecca Yoxall

This is how he looked when I got him after bathing him and putting a dab of Betadine and Neosporin on him for a week the scab on his nose came off it is flesh-colored because not bleeding oozing nothing but the top of his head is so dark I don't know if this is normal

14. Merlin

I'm not seeing anything out of the norm.
    The patch on the nose was likely a piece of leftover shed.

15. Rebecca Yoxall

Screenshot_20171223-212948.png

16. Rebecca Yoxall

I blew the picture up huge. So you could see what I was talking about

17. Rebecca Yoxall

I blow up the picture huge so you could see what I was talking about if you look by his nose you see some really dark spots is this normal my iguanas body from snout to vent is probably only 3 to 4 inch long roughly

18. Merlin

They will have areas that will darken and lighten. It's usually a stress related thing. It's fine.

19. Rebecca Yoxall

Ok ty so very much