This Disappears When Logged In

Black Roughneck Monitor Cage

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by Shefet, Jul 28, 2018.

1. Shefet

Shefet New Member

This cage is only temporary until he/she gets a little bigger. I also decided to modify a humidifier to blow into this cage. He likes the cage but we are having an issue with his toenails. I used drylok on my cage. For those not familiar drylok, drylok leaves a sandy gritty texture when dried. His toenails are already pretty short from climbing and I'm concerned. Ideas or input?

20180728_163308.jpg
    20180728_100202.jpg 20180728_150547.jpg

2. Lori68

Lori68 Established Member

How deep is that substrate? If its got some good depth to it (as in, more than a few inches) by keeping it moist, that will do wonders for humidity inside the cage because at the moment it looks quite dry. If its shallow substrate, you will have a hard time keeping it humid in there. Substrate depth is better than a humidifier in my opinion. Its a constant humid level as opposed to a machine turning on and off...that's how I view it as. Adding a top layer of leaf litter will also help keep the moisture level in the dirt.

Roughnecks do like to climb though. Do you have the ability to modify this cage at all to allow more height? If so, that would probably be much appreciated.

As for the toenails being worn down, that's fine. They would never wear their nails down so much from what you sealed the cage with. If anything, their nails would get worn down more from the cage accessories, like climbing branches or rocks. Its also a good thing their nails are being kept trim naturally rather than clipping them.

3. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, can you give me the dimensions of the enclosure and say what the ambient and basking surface temps plus humidity ranges are and how you measure them, also the brand and wattage of the heat/basking bulbs?
    The claws should be naturally relatively long and sharp, can you zoom in to the toes to get a closer look?
    I agree with Lori about the substrate looking very dry (at least on top) and the humidifier shouldn`t be needed at all, as it is the hose is set too high, until the substrate issue is fixed, better to move the pipe down close to the surface.
    The wire cages can cause serious burns if the monitor gets hold, better to remove them.
    Is this V. rudicollis, I`m not familiar with American common names?

4. Lori68

Lori68 Established Member

Yes this is what we call a black roughneck here. V. dumerilli are what some call brown roughnecks

murrindindi likes this.
  5. Shefet

Shefet New Member

Thank you Lori.

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Thanks for not offering more details,. it makes asking in order to try and help so worthwhile... ;)