This Disappears When Logged In

Black MilkSnake Question

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by Skumbo, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Skumbo

Skumbo Active Member

I've only heard it referred to as Yolk (which i know isn't correct, but works), he seems healthy other than the fact i know he hasn't fed, he had a perfect first shed, and this one is probably happening soon (ive left him alone almost all week to keep the stress down, and hes very milky compared to last time i saw him). Hes only about four-five weeks old right now. He drinks lots of water and moves around a bit when hes not basking over the heat plate (which is about 76 at night and 80 during the day)

Ill wait a bit, i emailed a few reptile places near me and asked if they have any live pinkies, thats what the breeder said he got the others to feed with.

Yeah.. so I'm gonna try a day or two after he sheds. It's my first snake, so im obviously worrying too much XD

2. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

Being paranoid is perfectly okay! If he's really turning whitish I'd expect to find a nice shed in the next day or so. Make sure he's got a little extra humidity to help the process.

3. Skumbo

Skumbo Active Member

I did, coming from being a cigar smoker (i basically smoke pipes now, but thats a different story) Im used to maintaining humidity, so i had a handful (literally) of hygrometers chilling around, so ive got him regulated with moist/dry substrate so hes around ~75% humidity right now to help with the shedding, and had it between 60 and 70 before, the "cage" is actually a really long, wide and sort of shallow plastic container that ive punched a bunch of air holes around the sides, then i have it "latched down" with a bunch of industrial velcro, and putting something heavy on it would just break the top. I plan on moving him to a big glass tank when hes bigger, but i figured for now this worked well enough

4. Skumbo

Skumbo Active Member

He still hasnt shed yet, but the place near me got back finally and said they have live pinkies on tuesdays, so im gonna wait for him to shed, and go pick one up!

5. Skumbo

Skumbo Active Member

He shed! ...and he grew a bit over 3 inches. It was a perfect one piece shed like his first one was, took a bit to find it in the substrate though :p

Should i try feeding him (its been about a week) or wait until next tuesday to grab a live pinky? I have one F/T left in the freezer

6. hennisntacanibal

If he will take f/t there is no reason to feed live.

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I would wait a day and give the F/T a try. Now that the shedding is done it may surprise you!

8. Skumbo

Skumbo Active Member

No go on the F/T again, stubborn bastage :p

I understand the reasons behind only doing F/T if possible, and plan to feed him F/T once he starts actually feeding regularly. The breeder was successful feeding all the ones he didnt sell with live pinkies, so I figure it's worth a shot. Better than wasting a bunch of frozen ones. (im assuming you cant just refreeze them a bunch of times, i refroze one once and it smelled bad when i re-thawed it, and i dont want to make him sick when he finally does eat)

9. ToriH

ToriH Elite Member

Well when Tuesday comes get a live pinkie! ^_^

I hope everything works out!

10. Skumbo

Skumbo Active Member

EDIT!!!!

I just got him to eat! huzzah!

I used a small chopstick (a really nice one, from an expensive set my grandpa got me, so not change at all of splinters or anything) to get his mouth open (he wouldnt accept it without me getting his mouth open) poked the nose of the pinky in there and slowly slid the chopstick out, as soon as he closed on it he went nuts, coiled around it and started nomming it.

the pinky made sad squeeky noises o_O ugh.. (i have pet rats, so that was just depressing)

im thinking i can do this with frozen from now on since he seemed LESS interested in the live one (before i assist fed it) than the frozen. hooray edaward!

its been a bit over 4 weeks since i made this thread, thanks everyone for all the suggestions and help :D

11. hennisntacanibal

Good to hear he ate! Hopefully next time he will eat no problem.

12. ToriH

ToriH Elite Member

That's some very good news!! Keep it up!

13. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

"Happy Dance" for him finally eating for you, must be a great relief! :)

14. Skumbo

Skumbo Active Member

haha you have no idea how much of a relief it is. I basically thought i was going to have to give him back (i emailed the breeder, who offered to replace him/refund me and try to get him to eat himself) this morning, and the breeder suggested assist feeding and he gobbled it up XD