This Disappears When Logged In

Bioactive Substrate?

Discussion in 'HH General Discussion' started by aromatherapykim, Sep 3, 2014.

1. aromatherapykim

aromatherapykim Elite Member

I've been looking into bioactive substrates and am wanting to try it out with my red eyed crocodile skinks and see how it goes. If I like it I hope to be able to roll it out to several of my other enclosures.
    Does anyone here use bioactive for any of their herps? Any thoughts/opinions?

2. Gaaaaaaaaaard

Gaaaaaaaaaard Elite Member

I'm also very interested in this so any input toward OP would help me as well. I think it was Merlin that had mentioned using it to me.

3. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I used to. Don't know if it was luck or what. But some oak leaves I had used hatched out some helpful bugs the one year.
    They never yielded them again though and I have to search for some bugs again.

4. aromatherapykim

I know the concept of go out into the woods and pick stuff up and chunk it in a enclosure sounds completely against all the baking and sunning and disinfecting that people usually do but it really does make sense.

5. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I'm sure there are delicate species of reptiles but the majority come from sometimes very harsh conditions.
    I've never been the disinfecting type. I think people go waaaaay over board.

6. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

I agree 100%. I use what I consider bioactive substrates in my monitors cages, and though I have never added any of the mirco-fauna that some do, it works extremely well for me. No smell, unless you count the moist earth smell when I open a cage, and best of all, I've never cleaned poop in over 2 years of running one of the setups. The rest have less time, but same results. My next project will be to set up my bearded dragons this way.

7. aromatherapykim

if you're not having to scoop poop in monitor cages you're doing something very right

8. Darkbird

Yup, people seem to forget that bacteria can be your friend. This type of setup eliminated most of my wifes objections to my keeping lizards, which is why I want the beardies in the same type of setup.

9. Gaaaaaaaaaard

So what exactly is it and how does it work? Links welcome.

10. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Nope, wasn't me! I have never used it.

I would wonder about the use of this in a bearded dragon enclosure. Since everything in it would be a lot dryer than with the monitor.

11. Gaaaaaaaaaard

Yea I'm thinking it was actually dark it'd now. The two years but seems familiar.

12. Darkbird

I have been considering this, and it's part of the reason I'm in no rush to switch them over. Haven't had the time to do the reasearch to decide on the proper composition of the soil and what not. I think once the right soil was used, the only difference might be thebrate at which waste was disposed of, but we'll see.

13. aromatherapykim

I'm apart of a bioactive group on facebook and they have files showing different details including a bearded dragon setup. I'll have to link the group once i'm on my home PC but it's called "reptile and amphibian bioactive setups" if y'all want to search it