This Disappears When Logged In

Bioactive Beardie Cleanup Crew

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by N3rdM3tal, Dec 4, 2017.

1. N3rdM3tal

N3rdM3tal Member

It's been a month since my hatchling beardie went into his bioactive vivarium. The cleanup crew are red wriggler earth worms, springtails, and some live succulent plants right now. I have some isopods in quarentine for a generation to add later. My question is about shedding. My little dude sheds regularly as he is growing fast. I've been clearing out the shed skin. I'm wondering if anyone is familiar enough with bio vivs to tell me if i dont need to? Will my cleanup crew be able to handle that or should I stick to hand cleaning the shed skin?

2. Owen Baranoski

Owen Baranoski Well-Known Member

Have you noticed them eating the skin yet?

3. N3rdM3tal

N3rdM3tal Member

I haven't. I usually clean it up before it sits too long. My cleanup crew is just now established enough to really trust it to clean up regular waste. So I'm not sure. Is there any real risks to leaving it in the tank to see? The health of the beardie is paramount to the bioactive experiment of course

4. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

You can leave the skin in there for awhile, as long as it's dry and not in the water dish. I have a monitor that sheds in patches constantly, so there's often a bit of skin laying around. I think in the early stages of the bioactive I have picked up a couple pieces, but since then they have been eating it quickly. But mind you.. I do have isopods, darkling beetles, and a few crickets as well, so they probably do the majority of the work.

5. N3rdM3tal

N3rdM3tal Member

Good to know. I know reptiles usually eat some of the skin but I read a few places beardie don't as often as geckos. But if between my herp and my bugs in there in good then I'm happy

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, the skin will not harm the Bearded dragon (or a monitor) or the bugs if you leave it in the enclosure, it`s basically just some keratin!

N3rdM3tal likes this.