This Disappears When Logged In

Bio Active Substrate? Anyone?

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by IAmXavierPee, May 22, 2014.

1. IAmXavierPee

IAmXavierPee Well-Known Member

I was wondering does anyone know how to make bio active substrate and if so I wanna see how it's made on a video? I wanna do it for my savannah but I don't wanna mess up and put him in danger of anything and if anyone knows how to please post? I would like to know more and understand more so I know that I can make him a very good enclosure. And I know what I can feed him but I wanna know the full list of food items that you can feed a savannah monitor

2. Infernalis

Infernalis Elite Member

3. IAmXavierPee

I seen that already but like I wanna see how to make it and all that. I live in SE Wisconsin and I don't want any of that stuff to hurt my savannah and I wanna see how some people do it and make it look nice and all that for safety reasons you know?

4. gothicangel69

gothicangel69 Elite Member

I just bought some bags of soil and sand, went out to the woods, and grabbed a bunch of leaves and rotten logs. Lots of nice bugs in there to get it working right. You can also add some darkling beetles and earthworms.

5. IAmXavierPee

Can I see some pictures please?:) I wanna see how it looks:) and well I lives in state of Wisconsin and I don't want any mosses or anything like that to be toxic or something like that to my sav

My last reply was to you

6. gothicangel69

Not the best, but the only half decent one's I have uploaded to photobucket at the moment :). I wouldn't worry about moss. I always chuck a bunch in there during the warmer months- gives the roaches a place to hide and it's good enrichment for him to dig them out.
    DSCF3957_zpsd2b8da5e.jpg
    DSCF3322_zps82f91d26.jpg

7. Infernalis

Infernalis Elite Member

moss and forest litter is good. there isn't anything (Special about the dirt) in Wisconsin that's going to hurt a healthy monitor.

8. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

yeah mosses are ood to use to keep the humidity up, i know alot of people who mix sphaggnam moss into thier bio active substrates....

9. IAmXavierPee

Nice pictures dude! Thank you guys, and so far from what I could see nice setup! I can't wait till I build my own custom enclosure and do that. But my guy is still small, in about a month or so I will start constructing my cage I have 1/3 of the money and I should have all the money and a little extra just incase. He's aroun 9 inches my girlfriend came over one week and didn't come back over till for 2 weeks Because I was camping and working and what not (don't worry someone looked after him when I went camping) but she noticed he grew and got wider. I feed him crickets and I fed him superworms about 2 days ago and I tried to feed him yesterday but he didn't touch the worms? But I'm sure he will eat some more today:)

10. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Make sure you don't get any out of the ground. Especially if you or people around you use chemicals to make your grass greener, weeds gone, pests out of gardens, etc. You never know if they put anything on grass, garden, flowers, etc. You can order worms, beetles, etc online and add that way.

Chemicals could hurt the little guy.

11. IAmXavierPee

Thank you. No one uses pesticides on my grass in my back yard. Especially behind my garage. There is one area but it's my moms garden but I'm not sure if she used pesticides so I won't risk that over there. But wouldn't the beetles superworms and all that hurt my savannah when it's sleeping? That's what concerns me the most.

12. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

I would just be careful. I've never done that type of substrate. So I'm not sure of anything in particular. I do know they will more than likely eat a few though, that's why I said that about the pesticides and chemicals. They could travel though that's why I said neighboring yards also though too.

13. IAmXavierPee

I see, well thank you for the help, I really appreciate it & there is an app for the website? For this one?

14. gothicangel69

As long as you have food and water for the bugs, they won't harm your lizard. Leave some veggie slices in the enclosure (carrots are good) so if they get hungry they can much on it. I love my little darkling beetles and they are fascinating to watch.

15. Infernalis

Infernalis Elite Member

The wonderful thing about natural soil from outside is that rain and snow melt continuously wash the dirt over and over. This is why exterminators have to come back every few weeks, and why people fertilize every spring.

If no one has sprayed anything on the property yet this year, the soil is safe, as the sprays from last year are already washed down into the aquifer and gone.

16. IAmXavierPee

Thank you so much , I'm on a go outside and dig some of it up and mix it with my eco earth and see how it looks and comes out

17. dp428

dp428 Established Member

Quick question could I use springtails instead of roaches to clean up the feces my lil sav leaves behind, or do they not really take of business?

18. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

i have heard of people using them but i would do more research

19. gothicangel69

Springtails are fine :).

20. savannahmon181

savannahmon181 Elite Member

What % of top soil, leaf compost, and sand do you use for a monitor? I've seen ppl use different %'s for different herps.