This Disappears When Logged In

Big Enough?

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by jshrad, Jan 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jshrad

jshrad Elite Member

Hi,

I will be getting a baby iguana within the next month or two so I am building an enclosure that will last his entire life now. Is that a bad idea? Will a baby get too stressed out in a big cage?

I plan on making it at least 6' tall, 4' wide, and 2'-3' deep. Will that be large enough?

Also, what type of heating / lighting should I use? The mega ray that Rich keeps suggesting?

One other thing, can I house multiple iguanas together if I made an even larger enclosure?

Thanks!

2. geckoguy14

geckoguy14 Elite Member

it's best to have a smaller cage for the babies. You dont want them to fall and hurt themselves.

A 4'x4'x2' works for a good year or so untill you need to build a bigger cage. The herphabitats PVC collapsable cage is what i used and it's plenty big enough for my baby to grow into. Then when it outgrows that one, you can start thinking about building a larger cage. I plan on building a 6'x6'x3' enclosure as the final cage for my iguana. It's a relatively small cage but it works for igs with regular exercise outside of the cage.

it's not reccommended to house multiple iguanas even in the same house because they are so territorial.

the megaray heating/lighting devices are the best IMO. They work better than most MVB's out there.

3. jshrad

jshrad Elite Member

Where can I find a herphabitats PVC collapsable cage?

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Josh if you have the space I would make the cage 6ft wide x 4ft deep by 6ft tall. 2 feet deep is a little narrow for the iguana to turn around in.

Adam I disagree.If you are going to the expense of building a cage you might as well build the cage that the ig will need for its entire life. It's less expensive than building a succession of cages as well as doing away with the stress of moving the iguana from one enclosure to another as it grows.

5. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hello,

I agree with Merlin. Build it to adult size now. If you are worried about the iguana falling, keep the basking shelves low and raise them as the iguana grows.

6. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

EVERYONE PILE ON ADAM!! LOL

I too disagree with multiple cages. Build one, build it right and it will last a lifetime.

To reduce stress on the very tiny baby in the giant cage, provide a large hidebox for it and it will have the comforts of home without being overwhelmed. A simple wooden box with one side removed works best.

Oh, and Adam, the Mega-Ray is better than ALL MV lamps! LOL But I'm biased. ;-)

7. geckoguy14

geckoguy14 Elite Member

oops, hehe. i guess i made a booboo. I guess i take all of my information from different places. a little here and a little there. It's easy to get mixed up.

my apologies!

Dom, yea your right. megaray is the best but you could have no idea what other kinds are out there...there's always the possibility that i was wrong so i left room in there for alternate views. ;)

8. jshrad

jshrad Elite Member

Thanks for your advice. I think ill go ahead and build the big cage now.

Merlin, I know you said 6x6x4 but would a 8x4x4 do ok instead? I only have about 5' for width so maybe if I added the two feet going upwards it would help?

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

That should work. If thats all the room you have,... thats all the room you have!
    We work with what we have!;)

10. Fran

Fran Veteran Member

That's ok Adam, we all make a boo boo sometime. Don't worry about it as there will ALWAYS be someone to correct it.:D
    I too go along with Merlin. However, I am limited in space so the Iggyland that I just built for Bubba, my neonate iggy, is 4'x4'x6'. He has been in a 50 gal breeder tank since he got here last month and he can remain in that until about March and therefore only have one move. Also, I plan to introduce him to his larger quarters gradually by letting him have playtime in it for a week or two and then conveniently forget to put him back in the breeder tank.;)

Attached Files:

11. jshrad

jshrad Elite Member

Hello,

Nice looking setup you have there Fran.

I just found an old dresser of mine that I might be able to convert into an enclosure. It measures 42" tall, 32" wide, and 16" deep. Would that be ok for a baby ig until I can get a 6'x6'x3'?

Oh, Merlin, I found some space downstairs where I can fit the 6'x6'x3' which is good.

12. Fran

Fran Veteran Member

I am going to add another basking shelf part way down so he will be able to take advantage of the late afternoon sun. I just went right away with the
    4x4x6 enclosure so that he wouldn't be stressed by more than one move.

13. Mark

Mark Elite Member

Wait Fran, I thought you had 4 igs. Leave it to me to go away for about 2 weeks and forget everything.

I too use a 4x4x6 cage -- PVC frame with canvas walls -- for my adult ig. Granted he is not too large 16" SVL, 52" STL, and a little over 10 pounds. As I let him roam out of the cage by not closing the door all the way along the bottom I think I could even get away with a smaller cage.

For cage height anything tall enough for you to stand upright in is fine. With this I find it is best to keep the heighest shelf no higher than shoulder level. You don't really want the ig to get above you both for territorial reasons and it becomes difficult to pick him up or even see him.

Of all the cages I have built I think that 6x3x6 is my favorite size. Here is a pic of the one I built for an idea of the layout. This is also a PVC frame and canvas sides.
    [​IMG]

14. Fran

Fran Veteran Member

Hee hee. Sorry Mark. You snooze, you lose.:p Actually, That is for Bubba as Babba is getting her own. As for the other two; one now belongs to my daughter Becca and the other now belongs to her mother. So buddy, all 4 are still here.:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.