This Disappears When Logged In

Big box petstore layouts

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mark, Aug 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark

Mark Elite Member

For dog food and the like I go to the big box pet stores which invite you to bring along your dogs. More often than not Preston (my Border Terrier) comes along and something starts to strike me. These stores have clear non-abuse of animals policies and typically make you sign something effectively saying you won't use small animals as food items (think rats and snakes). These signs are typically located on top of the cages of weasels or rats which happen to have the animals near terrier nose level.

I just know sometime I will be asked to leave after Preston has his paws on the front of the cage and his nose to the glass smiling at the little toy weasels.

Anyone ever notice this too?

2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hello,
    Petco sells rats and mice as feeders here in MA. I know this for certain as I buy them all the time and they clearly know (as I tell them) that they will be used to feed ball pythons and my corn. In fact, I don't even have to fill out one of those companion animal papers because these critters are not going to be returning for any reason. lmao (For those who care to know, I pre-kill anything "live" I bring home.I use frozen when they are in stock.)

3. Mark

Mark Elite Member

Ha, a friend of mine at work was carded when he tried to buy a hamster at one of these stores. Apparently there was a state or local law stating you had to be over 18 to buy a live animal

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

An ordinance that by the way I wholeheartedly agree with!

5. nicole

nicole Elite Member

I second that! Just think how many unwanted, abused, neglected, and mis treated animals there would be if that was not the case. Shoot, I would have a ton of furry critters in here if my kids could just walk to the pet store and buy them!

Thats a scary thought!

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I thnk most of the shops around here require you be at least 16. However that still doesn't prevent a kid from showing up at home with something that they are unable to care for as well as the possibilty that it is something the parent will not allow in the house!
    And we are all aware of how many people are willing to just throw an unwanted animal out side and forget about it!

7. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

Hello, as long as the dog is not stressing out any small animals we don't worry about them nosing the glass. We also make everyone fill out a purchase card and have been know to refuse to sell "feeders" to those people who have the wrong attitude about animal husbandry. I still feed frozen only and my store has expanded it's stock to include Jumbo rats.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.