My wife doesn't like having frozen rodents in our freezer, or having to thaw them, however her ball python was bitten recently when eating a live mouse. It was only a minor injury and is healing well, but it turned my wife off on the idea of live prey.(Though not enough to keep frozen rodents in our freezer) So now I am currently feeding our two ball pythons a mix of fresh killed and live mice and working towards all pre-killed. So far only one is taking to pre-killed prey consistently. I do have a dilemma though, which is trying to find the most humane method of killing the feeder mice. I have been researching this and I found that most producers of frozen rodents kill them using CO2 suffocation. At first glance, I thought this seemed like a great idea, because I have heard that people who die of carbon monoxide(CO) poisoning just pass out and die peacefully in their sleep. Apparently this is not the same case for carbon-dioxide(CO2) suffocation, which is supposedly a closer experience to drowning than just peacefully drifting off to sleep. Drowning doesn't seem all that humane to me, though it could probably be argued that it is still less traumatic for the rodent then being bitten and suffocated by squeezing. I also did some research on the possibility of a homemade carbon monoxide chamber, however I found out that producing or working with CO is much more risky to humans than CO2, even at relatively low concentrations. It also doesn't seem very practical to build a gas chamber to kill 1-2 mice at a time though. The owner of my local reptile store recommended smacking live rodents heads on hard surfaces to stun or kill them before feeding. I have used this method very effectively in the past on large feeder rats. The few times I have tried with mice though, it took several attempts to even stun them and I got bit in the process(can't blame the mouse, I would have reacted similarly were our roles reversed), so I stopped using this method. Another method I found is placing them on a table with a screwdriver across the neck at the base of the skull, then pulling up on the tail to separate the spine at the base of the skull. The method seems pretty humane, and has been effective 2/3 of the time so far. The most recent though I apparently didn't pull up hard enough on the tail the first attempt and had to try again, so that has me back to questioning if there is a better way. Anyone have any better ideas for me?