This Disappears When Logged In

Best Uvb Tubes?

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by afrodite2400, Jan 20, 2016.

1. afrodite2400

afrodite2400 Member

Hi! I have had a water dragon now for about a month and I am not sure that his uvb lighting is doing the trick. I was looking to get a better one. I know you use tubes not bulbs and replace every six months but other than that there are alot of conflicting stories. Our Snivy is a juvenile, by measurements i would say about a year. We do intend to build him a very large enclosure down the road, but for now he is in a 40 gallon breeder and loves it. I was looking at this uvb for it and am ready to purchase today if anyone can tell me if it is a good one or not. Thanks in advance! Here is the link to the one i am looking at: Amazon.com : Zoo Med ReptiSun® 10.0 High Output UVB Fluorescent Bulb 17 Watts, 24-Inch : Pet Habitat Lights : Pet Supplies

2. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

The zoomed reptisuns are probably the most popular ones used around here. However they recently came out with the T5/T10 HO (high output) linear bulbs which to my knowledge work better. The packaging also says they last a year opposed to 6 months, but I use them for 9 months before I consider their UVB ouput not optimal. I save them and use them to provide some light in my snake tanks.

Amazon.com : Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 HO High Output 5.0 UVB Lamp 24w22in : Pet Habitat Heat Lamps : Pet Supplies
    They're usually a bit cheaper so I would shop around- I got some for 12 bucks each around Christmas.

afrodite2400 likes this.
  3. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You can use bulbs but they need to be Mercury Vapor bulbs that produce UVB and the enclosure size needs to be able to accommodate it. Mercury vapor bulbs also produce heat. The reptisun tubes are pretty good. I haven't used any of the tube lights for years so I am unaware if there are now better alternatives. I use a ReptileUV with my bearded dragon and haven't turned back for years.

afrodite2400 likes this.
  4. afrodite2400

afrodite2400 Member

5. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

It could be but I've always been advised to avoid Zilla bulbs since they can apparently cause eye issues.

6. afrodite2400

afrodite2400 Member

Had no idea!! Thanks

7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, can you put a few photos up of the whole enclosure and give some details of the conditions?
    I have used the Zoo-med brand of fluorescent UVB tubes in the past and found them to be quite effective. Another excellent UVB emitting tube is the "Arcadia" T5 HO (high output) @ either 10-0 or 12-0%, if you fit a reflector to these and other similar tubes it increases the amount of UVB and effective distance from the tube to the animal.
    The problems with the compact spiral types are that they emit less UVB and over a much narrower area, and the eye problems were caused by the animal/s getting too close to the bulb.

8. afrodite2400

afrodite2400 Member

It's so funny because he actually is posing for you in this pic. I have the heat on one end and uvb on opposite end as seen. Humidity is hard to maintain at 80% in a harsh Michigan winter but I maintain it steadily between 60-80%. Temps range 80-90 daytime and 75-85 at night. He uses his back legs sometimes but he is seen acting as if they don't work sometimes too and sometimes he will lift one leg and it will shake. Thought maybe it was inadequate uvb? Also note that when I got him at the pet store they didn't seem to have more than a regular uvb bulb. So he may also be recouping from there? He had been there quite a long time due to snout damage he endured in their enclosure and no one wanted him. He hasnt snout rubbed at all since being in his new much larger enclosure with us. 20160120_173224.jpg

9. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi again, thanks for the photo. Whatever I say I PROMISE I`m only trying to help you help your dragon, I`m not criticising you for the sake of it! ;)
    There are some serious faults with the setup as it is but thankfully not too difficult to fix.
    First you need to cover the screen top as completely as possible (kitchen foil will work temporarily). The screen means you`re losing much heat and humidity, it`s also blocking a significant amount of the UVB.
    These are semi arborial as well as semi aquatic lizards so the interior is really not suitable (firmly fixed stout branches for climbing will help) in fact fishtanks are not at all suitable except very temporarily...
    How are you measuring the ambient (air) and basking surface temp plus the humidity range and what type and wattage are the heat bulbs?

10. afrodite2400

afrodite2400 Member

I wouldn't be here if I didn't plan to welcome the advice and help. We love him so much and want nothing but the best for him. How do you use foil? Do you put them over the lights and screen? Do you cut areas for lights and foil everywhere else? He does climb his big branch, foliage, and rock but again sometimes acts like it isn't too easy with his back legs. I had a larger water area but he acts like he hates water and even refuses to defecate in it lol so I give him soaks often, and clean his waste off his floor when he goes. That gray area is a big water bowl with gentle air bubbler and he has another little water dish which he favors drinking from. I do plan on getting him a hammock this week and some climbing vines too. What do you think about the zilla uvb currently in use? Adequate or upgrade to reptisun 10.0? This is the one he currently has: 20160120_120913.jpg

As for Temps I have this and I move it to different areas throughout the day to ensure the Temps and humidity. I mist it frequently throughout the day for humidity. I have a 150 watt bulb for day heat and 150 CHE for night

11. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I would change the UVB tube for one of the type we mentioned. I cannot see anything in terms of the type of thermometer/hygrometer?
    Place kitchen foil around as much of the top (screen) as possible, make it very tight fitting around the heat/lighting.
    Any water used for soaking MUST be heated to between approx. 27 to 30c (80 to 85f). To do that you`ll need a large enough water container to use an aquarium heater (probably 50w).
    Hammocks are useless as basking objects because they don`t hold any heat ( a waste of money in my opinion).

12. afrodite2400

afrodite2400 Member

Oh sorry. It didn't upload:

1453331888203-26893905.jpg
    I move it all over from ground level to higher levels from cool side to basking side several times throughout the day.

13. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I think it may be an analogue type which can be very inaccurate (as much as 15% +), meaning you/we have no real idea what the temps and humidity are right now. I believe you can buy a digital hygrometer with probes from "Walmart" for around $13, to get an accurate basking surface temp you`ll need a "Temp-gun", not sure where you get those in America, I buy them on eBay over here.

14. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Hi there, that thermometer is analog and wildly inaccurate (as murrindindi already stated). You can purchase a temp gun either online from Amazon or eBay. You can also check out your areas re-store, that would be the most inexpensive option. Lowes or Home Depot will have them but typically the minimum price for those retailers is $50+.

afrodite2400 likes this.
  15. afrodite2400

afrodite2400 Member

Thank you all so much for all of your help. :) I will get on correcting these things right away.

mshrmheadcharge likes this.
  16. Majrab1389

Majrab1389 Member

I got my lighting from lightyourreptiles you can talk to Todd about which bulbs would work best for you. I have a full size enclosure and I can tell you that lighting gets expensive. I'm not sure if the fixtures you are looking at would work for a full size enclosure.
    Also, different brands of bulbs had different life spans, while you may replace every 6 months you might be getting bulbs to early while its the opposite for others. their bulbs are kept for 9-12 months which might be too long. Best bet for that is to get a meter so you know when and if you need to replace them.
    good luck!

Cphill58 and afrodite2400 like this.
  17. Cphill58

Cphill58 New Member

I have a UVB meter...I test and use repti sun T8 lamps 10.0 typically I use 48" lamps...when new these emit approx 50 micro watts of UVB @ 12"
    After 6 months they are producing approx 35-40 microwatts. They easily last 10 months.

For a CWD I tend to think that if you allow them various height gradients they will find their own perfect position to the lamp. I also highly recommended mega ray mercury vapor lamps and test the ones I purchase for my iguana and bearded dragons.
    Mega ray offers 70, 100, 160 and 275 watt MVB lamps that provide UVB/UVA/and heat.

If you need a direct link just ask