This Disappears When Logged In

Best Type of Plywood to Use?

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by KDogg, Nov 5, 2014.

1. KDogg

KDogg Member

Building an indoor iguana cage. Went and looked at the plywood and I was shocked at the wide range in prices. Curious as to what's the best. I want it to be good quality and last.

Thank you!

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

The wood species is really of no concern. In my area birch is a common one and is the most price effective.
    For grading it's kind of a toss up.
    You can buy a lower grade but you could end up spending more on polycrylic to seal it as it will be rougher and have more defects.
    Probably something mid-grade would work out best.
    That is unless you want the outside to look really good. Then you can usually buy something that is higher grade on one side with an acceptable back on the reverse.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I like to use 3/4inch cabinet grade plywood. Its already sanded and will save you a lot of work and looks a lot nicer than the basic plywood.

4. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

I usually use regular BC, or AC pine. But I also usually just paint the outsides of my cages flat black and ignore any imperfections in the exterior surface. As you can see though, everyone has their own preferences.

5. SebastiansExotics

SebastiansExotics Elite Member

How much more will I be spending on a sheet of 8x4 cabinet grade 3/4 inch then an 8x4 regular 3/4 inch?

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Around here, at least, a sheet of cabinet grade will run you about 40 dollars.

7. DragonSlayer

DragonSlayer Established Member

I used solid oak on the front & doors and 3/4" oak plywood on the sides, top, bottom and dividers with Smoked Paprika Water Based Cabot Stain and MinWax Oil Modified Water Based Poly. The inside is lined with 1/8" Plexiglass under a Universal Rock background on the bottom and all sides.
    Soon it will be in use, needs a few more weeks to air out.