This Disappears When Logged In

Best lizardy friend

Discussion in 'General' started by Brittone05, Apr 24, 2006.

?

Best Lizardy friend (read the thread to see criteria)

1. Bearded Dragon

36 vote(s)
    48.0%
  2. Leopard Gecko

15 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Crested Gecko

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
  4. Mali Uromastyx

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
  5. African fat-tailed gecko

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
  6. Blue Tongue Skink

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
  7. Water Dragon

7 vote(s)
    9.3%
  8. Green Anole

3 vote(s)
    4.0%
  9. Long Tailed Grass Lizard

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Other (specify)

6 vote(s)
    8.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chris7033

chris7033 Elite Member

i pick varanids they are tougher bigger and smarter than all these perfect killing machines although not always friendly if you have the know how room and money great herps to keep not for kids though as most know:D :p

2. wil

wil Member

I totally agree:D

I dont no i have had anoles since i was like 5 and have had some for 3 years or over

3. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hello,

Green Anoles can live up to 10 years. Unfortunantly 3-5 years is the average in captivity because they are not supplied with the proper lighting and humidity requirements. just because an animal lives for a few years with inadequate care doesn't mean they are easy to care for. It means you had a strong herp with a desire to survive.

Look at the green iguana. Some iguanas can live for years and years with inadequate care. If that iguana lives for 8 years and dies, did the owner do a good job? No. Why? Because green iguanas can live for 20+ years.

4. Woman

Woman Elite Member

Well Rich I agree with you that a reptile will live if they are care for the right way and two if they have the will power to survive. And you are right to the owner they have to do thire part allso by careing for the reptile the right way.

5. joeking

joeking Elite Member

I just got a leopard gecko:D I just had to share that with everyone:D I love him:D I was wondering about the whole friendly factor though, so do you think a Chinese Water Dragon would make a better companion?

6. Gannil

Gannil New Member

Nicely done and informative! Regards!

Hello admin!
    Excellent site with fantastic references and reading.... well done indeed...
    Good content, eautiful design, thank !

7. iam_a_legend06

iam_a_legend06 Well-Known Member

leo's are the best beginner pet i friendly easy to care for and great to watch them on the hunt they are easily bred and the eggs are easily incubated there price aren't sky high and they have quite a range of temp that they can live in....... i just lost one in somewhere in my house and now i have to find it.

8. grim

grim Elite Member

bearded dragons and mali uromastix require about the same level of care; very low all they need is a uv light and basking spot lamp , only difference is the diet whereas beardies eat crickets and mice, while uromastix are right at home with romaine lettuce. In my experience these reptiles are by far the easiest to take care of as oposed to any other reptiles on the market. They require far less know how than pretty much any other reptile on the market. Anoles are harder to take care of than bearded dragons due to the misting and humidity requirements.

I would honestly compare the level of care of a beardy or uromastix to that of small rodents such as hamsters and rats both of which are just as easy.
    Definatley one of the sturdiest pets you can buy. And the most well mannered.

9. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Romaine lettuce isnt a proper food source for Mali Uros....its nothing but water

10. grim

grim Elite Member

dude i worked at a petshop and that was their main diet... They did just fine on it, although now that i think about it , i was ocassionally giving them squash and carrots. Reguardless they are amazingly easy to take care of.

11. Rich

Hello,

Romaine lettuce is NOT an adequate diet for a Beardy or a Uro. The first problem with feeding "lettuce" is that it has a VERY low nutritional value. Lettuces are comprised of very few vitamins but are a great source for moisture.

The other problem is that you should never just feed one item. All animals need a selection. The selection helps to ensure they are getting other needed nutrients.

That's why we have this site and why we tell our users to never trust the advice given by petstore employees.

12. grim

grim Elite Member

i feel very loved.... and i like working at petshops too...

13. Nikita

Nikita New Member

It's first class!

Greetings!..
    Excellent forum, added to favorites!!
    Thanks!

14. Rich

If you post things like this:

You need to expect to be corrected and put out there. Just because you worked at a petstore does not make how you treated the animals correct. In fact, I have found that over 90% of the petstore employees I have encountered are inaccurately educated and didn't even know it.

It isn't a matter of love grim. Its a matter of spreading good info. You were not doing that and it was addressed. Don't take it personally. I would have told anyone that posted that the same thing. :D

15. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Grim nobody is slamming you personally. We are just attempting to stop the continuing flow of incorrect advice that continues to trickle down due to the petstore "experts" who really have no idea what they are talking about. Most shops will tell you just about anything to make a sale regardless of whether its correct or not. I don't know how many petstore employees I have corrected concerning husbandry. And their only fault was believing what the management people in charge of running the store had told them.

Just as a point I worked for several years in the wholesale side of the pet industry and I dealt with numerous stores over a 3 state area. I can tell you stories of inaccuracy and ineptitude that would curl your hair. All coming from people who held themselves up to their employees as "Experts".

16. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

I actually stopped working at a petstore because of all the above reasons. My manager tried to give me false info, I told her she was wrong, even printed up a million caresheets to prove to her she was wrong and she still said "do things my way" so I quit...but before I did i took all the herps to the vet ;)...I was really loved then :p

17. ClarkKent

ClarkKent New Member

I pick bearded Dragons, my favorite is actually a water dragon, but i always recommend a bearded dragon.

18. MRHickey

MRHickey Elite Member

I went with other because nothing beats a Green Iguana, it is like a cat that requires a little extra. They have an uncanny personality, and you can't beat an animal you can share a salad with, granted theirs may be slightly different, but it is still the same concept. I live in God's Country, so fresh Veggies come a dime a dozen, and they are so much easier than keeping food alive or frozen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.