This Disappears When Logged In

best fluorescent uvb bulb

Discussion in 'Habitat Lighting' started by iguanaboy13, Sep 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iguanaboy13

iguanaboy13 Active Member

I know I asked before about uv lights but right now, it doesn' look like I would be able to get a mega-ray bulb; so what do you think is the best flourescent uv bulb?

2. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The Zoo Med Reptisun 5.0 or Iguana Light 5.0(same bulb different package) is the old standby. I have used them for years.

4. bobmac

bobmac Member

Until i have tube lighting on our site, i would still stick with the 5.0 Zoomed. this will only be cheaper if you already have a good fixture. the cost of a good fixture, a good heat lamp, and the 5.0 bulb, you are at the price of a MegaRay anyway. but if you have the fixture, the Zoo 5.0 is the stead fast still. see www.uvguide.co.uk

BM

5. bobmac

bobmac Member

From the BigApple link:

"100 Watt Flood - Average Output of 107 MicroWatts/CM2 of UVB @ 30 cm.
    400 MicroWatts/CM2 of UVA @ 30 cm.

160 Watt Flood - Average Output of 157 MicroWatts/CM2 of UVB @ 30 cm.
    640 Micro Watts/CM2 of UVA @ 30 cm.

These outputs are similar to what the sun output would be at 12 noon in most parts of the United States. NO OTHER BULB CAN MAKE THESE CLAIMS!

We have also incorporated an exclusive mercury vapor anti-sway bar plus thicker vapor arcs for extended life and higher intensity."

I never get over Steves use of his imagination and BS. "Anti-Sway bars" in an mercury vapor bulb! you gotta laugh!

"NO OTHER BULB CAN MAKE THESE CLAIMS!" Put your boots on. Westron Lighting's ActiveUV Heat MV Spot lamps were producing more UVB in 1994 then BA's are now.

Although cheap Chinese bulbs, if they don't burn out, they will keep your reptile healthy. but because of the huge decay of UVR, chance out after 6 months if they are still working.

bobmac

6. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

I use the Reptisun 10.0

7. iguanaboy13

iguanaboy13 Active Member

thanks, and I won't be on often because my computer was screwed up by my little brother, and needs to be fixed so I would be using my dad's computer.

8. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hello,

I am not one to really knock many sites as it isn't my persona, but I would be leary about purchasing the Big Apple MV's. While I was reading some of the outputs the lights had made in comparison to other lights on the market, I clearly saw that they were not a "stand alone" item. In fact, a few other lights were leaving them in the wind.

I contacted (Steve I think) and didn't even get a courtesy response from him. The second email, specifying the same questions, also went unanswered.

If a simple email, regarding the quality and claims of a product is too much for a person to answer, I personally add them to my black list and don't do business with them.

Big Apple herp has a great selection of "other" items, but their lights are not all that is claimed. (It's a loophole in the system where anyone can say they are the best and that is THEIR opinion. So it's legal for him to claim this, even though he is way off base.)

9. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Up until recently I cant say I had any complaints with big apple, all my MVBs have been burning out within a month of purchasing them but they always send me another one, that burns out lol. So I need to go MVB hunting!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.