This Disappears When Logged In

Best Flooring for a Gecko?

Discussion in 'Substrates/Bedding/Flooring' started by Pencil2Print, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Pencil2Print

Pencil2Print Member

I am in the planning stages of setting up my new 29 gal tank for either cresteds or gargoyles.

I am not sure what the best bottom is for them.. I want easy clean-up.. yet, something very natural. Newspaper/tiles, I don't know.. lol

thanks!

2. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

Tile actually can look very natural if you also add slate rock for decoration. They don't come from a sandy area, so they can't handle being on sand. Try natural earthy tile colors with rocks and rock hides.. Maybe build your own rock backdrop out of styrofoam that is cut to look like rock walls--then 'painted' with colored concrete/grout. Looks pretty cool! Add in a fake desert plant or two...You have a nice, natural looking enclosure!

3. Pencil2Print

Pencil2Print Member

thanks purplemuffin! that is an excellent suggestion. I'll look at Lowes tonight and see what they have

I have a pothos plant that I am planning on putting in there. Guess I'll have to leave it in the pot. (a good way to get it away from the kitties). Hope the plant is safe for them.

4. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I used coconut fiber with my crested and it was great. I typically lean toward tile for something like a leopard gecko but crested require a higher humidity and the coconut fiber works wonders.

Impaction typically isn't a risk with this species because most of us feed our crested geckos the CGD which goes in a bowl. If you offer live insects as well, those can also go into a deep bowl or cup until the crestie has eaten them.

5. purplemuffin

Woops, I totally blanked and thought leos!!!

Coco fiber yes! My bad!

6. Pencil2Print

Pencil2Print Member

can I do coca fiber on top of tile? so I can lift the floor out and clean (might be easier than just cleaning the bottom)

7. purplemuffin

Eh, it would still be pretty much the same effort to clean I think. I mean maybe you could make some type of tub to life out and clean, but I would mostly just spot clean(pick up poop!) and then replace the bedding every once in a while!

8. Pencil2Print

Pencil2Print Member

thank you again purplemuffin. Being a first time lizard owner (unless you count the anoles I had when I was like.. 10.. lol) I have lots to learn!

9. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

10. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

For Cresteds, they don't really gather that much poop, and when they poop they usually like to do it on the glass, so it slides down in a big streak and you notice it better. LOL

I used natural earth substrate since they were constantly burying eggs for a while.

Either way they are typically easy to care for.

11. Spyral

Spyral Elite Member

It's so thoughtful of them to do that, isn't it? :D