This Disappears When Logged In

Belly Heat Options For A Large Enclosure?

Discussion in 'Heating' started by guadalakara, Dec 7, 2015.

1. guadalakara

guadalakara Member

I have a 4ft tall x 4ft wide x 2ft deep enclosure that I'd like to convert to use to house my ball python. It formerly housed an iguana so all of the heating elements are on the ceiling (a radiant heat panel and two ceramic lightbulb holders).

Since the ceiling is so high, the existing heating elements are not really ideal for my ball python who of course likes to spend most of his time hiding on the bottom of his enclosure. He is currently in a 20gal tank with an under-the-tank heater on one side (the kind that sticks to the bottom of the glass on the outside of the tank). This style of heater wouldn't really work with this large enclosure since the bottom is a solid 1/2inch of MDF instead of thin aquarium glass. Are there any other styles of bottom heaters out there that would work inside the enclosure underneath the cypress mulch substrate? I thought about using an XL human heat pad but am not sure how practical or safe that would be in the long term. Open to any ideas!

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2015
  2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You could take a piece of glass and adhere the UTH to that and have it slightly elevated off the floor of the current enclosure. It would still be beneath the glass. You could also notch out a spot in the MDF for the UTH and place glass over that spot and adhere it to that. I wouldn't use a human heat pad.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Human heat pads these days seem to come equipped to shut off automatically after 2 hours.

4. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

I have sandwiched a UTH or section of heat tape between a couple 12" square slate tiles, along with the appropriate thermostat probe, and it works well. A thick bead of silicone around the edge of the tiles will hold them together and allow you to cut them apart if you ever need to replace either the probe or heat source.

5. DragonSlayer

DragonSlayer Established Member