This Disappears When Logged In

Behavior and Shedding

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by Ptotherice, Oct 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ptotherice

Ptotherice Elite Member

Ok, so if you read my last post, you already know how paranoid I am. I am always worried about my little guy. This is a bit less of a worry for me, but still there. Gangster (my gecko) has just been sleeping a lot lately. Doesn't explore much and doesn't really walk around. He is about to shed (went extremely dull over night) but this has been going on for a few days now. Every time I see him he is just laying on the ground with his eyes closed, day or night. I get up frequently in the night so I like to check on him then. I'm buying him a 20gal tank this weekend, and possibly a little gecko pal to talk to when he's bored.

The shedding part was just about the fact that I won't be able to get a mister bottle for about 4 or 5 hours and he currently doesn't have a moist hide. I'm going to try to make one but I will have to remove his feeder rock and his tree tunnel. Will he be ok for a bit without moisture?

Any help on his laziness and shedding situation will be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-Price

P.S. How can I be sure I don't get 2 males?? All of the geckos at the pet store are too young to be sexed.

2. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

Ok, first things first... geckos (most reptiles really) aren't social animals, so getting another leo isn't necessary. If you do decide to get another one then you want to make sure that it is about the same size as the one you currently have to attempt to prevent any dominance issues happening right off the back. The only way to really be sure about sex is to wait until you can sex them.

To help with the shedding for the time being try adding some moist paper towels under his tree tunnel and turn that into a temporary moist hide.

I'm sure we asked in your other thread, but as far as the laziness is concerned a quick run down of temps and such will help. (Get used to providing this information anytime you have behavior or health questions :))

3. fire2225ems

Oh and one thing to think about before getting a second gecko is that even if you end up with a male and a female or two females, they won't always get along. So will you be able to provide a second separate enclosure?

4. Ptotherice

Ptotherice Elite Member

Ok, to answer questions...

1. Average day is about 85/86 - 75/78 and Average night is 75/78 - 71/70
    2. I have an undertank heater (10gal) and a blue light (Moonlight by ZooMed I think) 75watt and i have a very tall lamp over the front of the enclosure for light and a little bit of heat. These are readings with some ok-ish stick on thermometers. I'm going to be getting some new ones soon.
    And 3. Yes, I am getting a 20gal long tank and will have that one and my 10gal tank after this weekend. So in the case of fighting I will be able to house them both separately if needed.

I put in a moist hide this morning right after my original post. It is a medium Tupperware with Fluker's moss that was wetted and then wringed out. I got home from class and he is still under his tree (which is where he spends the majority of his time.) There were no signs that he had gotten into the moist hide, I'm guessing that's just because he doesn't know what it is and isn't used to it.

I read on a couple care sheets that the geckos enjoy having pairs more than solitarity, which is why I was planning on a second. I'm just trying to make the best experience for my gecko d:

Sorry for the annoyance of the perfectionist owner, I apologize if I have annoyed anyone d:

5. Ptotherice

Ptotherice Elite Member

Also, what are good durations of night time heat/light and night time heat/light. I was thinking 14 hours day and 10 hours night, since they live in the desert. I am going to get a timer surge protector for the lamp and the blue light (or the under tank heater, but I have read and been told to never turn those off.)

6. fire2225ems

No need to apologize for asking questions. We would rather you ask than not. I would stick with 12 hours on/12 hours off for the lights, and a timer is your best bet for that. That way it is a consistent time, even if you are busy and can't get to the tank to turn them on/off.

7. Ptotherice

Ptotherice Elite Member

Ok cool. The 12/12 will be perfect. I'll pick up that timer this weekend.

I just got back from buying him a 20gal tank, and his back left leg has no shedding left, but the toes are covered. His face is kinda covered and the rest is covered. I can't tell if he is having trouble getting the skin off, but I did mist him tonight with warm water. I misted the entire 20gal. He still has not used the moist hide, and when I put him in it he got really skitish. I figured if I just put him in the new tank then I should leave him alone for a bit. Do I need to upgrade to a bigger 20gal under tank heater? or is my 10gal fine? I'm planning on a bigger bulb so I can just unplug the UTH, but I have been told I should never turn that off, is this true?

8. fire2225ems

It really all depends on what your temps are. Keep an eye on them for a day or so and see how they fluctuate. Then you can also play with different wattages or combinations to see what works best for you.

If the skin hasn't come off the toes in the AM I would try taking a Q-Tip and dipping it in warm water, then using that to see if you can help it come off. Don't pull on the skin though, that could damage the skin beneath. Just see if you can gently rub it off.

9. Ptotherice

Ptotherice Elite Member

I tried to gently rub the skin off but he won't let me. He really hates being held. There is just a tiny bit left on the tips of his toes that I can tell. I don't think there is any left anywhere else though.

10. 30mm

30mm Elite Member

Always use your UTH, belly heat is quite important for these guys. Also aim for about the 92 range on the warm side. You can tell if the UTH is the right size by if it spans about 1/3 the enclosure. 1/4 of the enclosure may be to small.

He'll find the moist hide and use it if he feels he needs to. They do a lot of exploring when we aren't watching. How long has the shed been on his toes since he's started shedding? You could also try putting a very small amount of warm water in a bowl(just enough to cover his toes) and leave him in there for a couple of minutes(NOT UNATENDED!), then just try your best to use a Q-Tip to get the shed off.

A 20 gal, is going to be to small for two leos anyways. It would be very cramped to have to put double of everything in one. You would need a 40g breeder to house two comfortably.

11. Ptotherice

Ptotherice Elite Member

I have a new DayGlo light that I'm going to use for 12 hours a day (getting a timer today) and keep the UTH and NightGlo on 24/7.

I haven't gotten to check on his toes yet on his left foot, but I am pretty sure he has gotten all of the skin off.

Thanks for the help guys.

12. 30mm

30mm Elite Member

No problem, that's what we're here for!

13. Ptotherice

Ptotherice Elite Member

So temps are much better, and I have a timer that will hopefully work now that I got the time issue figured out d: My only worry is the fact that he spends all of his time in his tree hide. But I know they can't see well in light, and he still moves quickly when eating and when he is being lazy at night on his warm spot in front of his tunnel. d: At least he is eating and using the bathroom normally. Thanks guys.

Quick question, what is the best way to get him used to handling?

14. Vizth

Vizth Member

Handling him regularly, I would say 3 times a week for mabey 5-10 min at a time, until he gets used to it. Not really sure what the signs will be to show he used to you handling him, you should be able to tell with time, no one knows your Leo better than you.

When he gets used to it you can take him out more frequently and for longer.

I got mine to sleep in my shirt pocket when i take him out :)

15. Ptotherice

Ptotherice Elite Member

I took him out today at night, he seems a bit better with handling. He is still really jumpy, but once he gets out he starts to relax a bit. Thanks for the advise guys, I'll do everything you guys have said.

16. fire2225ems

Make sure that when you are getting him out of his tank to try not to come straight at him from above. They are hunted from above, so this invokes a panicked response. If you put your hand in at the side of the tank opposite of where the leo is, then with your palm up, hand flat slowly come towards him. It may take a few tries, but this should help him get used to ya, and he might even start to come to your hand...

17. Ptotherice

Ptotherice Elite Member

Well, the hand from the top fear response makes sense. Now I know why he freaks out anytime my hand comes in from the top. That is an extremely helpful bit of information... ha. Now I feel bad for my little guy, he has been terrified I was going to eat him...

18. Ptotherice

Ptotherice Elite Member

I have also never seen him drink his water. I take it he would be sick if he didn't drink anything aye? He does use the restroom and urate is present (the white stuff right?) Do they actually pee or just expel it as a white solid?

19. 30mm

30mm Elite Member

I've had my leo for a year and have only seen her drink once, and I belive they can urnate as a liquid but most of the time it's solid. I've heard of people getting peed on by their leo so it is possible.

20. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Leos are from an arid environment so they conserve water as much as they can. Your lizard is probably not comfortable with you enough yet to drink in front of you and is probably drinking at night.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.