This Disappears When Logged In

Beardies Eyes Are Watering and Stuck Shut

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by Draco27, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Do you have sand in his cage? also go to the petstore you got him from they will check him out for free! send me a message!

Maybe he is sleepy and sad!!!!!!! kidding!

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Taking an ill animal to a pet store is like going to MacDonalds to treat a stomache ache.
    Neither one will be much help.

3. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Yes, he already stated he took the Sand out. Read the thread please.

As for that basking bulb for UVA, the UVB tube also puts out UVA. No need to buy anything fancy, it's just a bulb. A 75 watt household bulb in a dome would do the same thing.

It was probably the sand, but do keep an eye on it. When he is soaking, try to splash some water over his eyes to get any possible debris out.

4. Draco27

Draco27 Member

He seems to be moving around more just sense I took the sand out, but his eyes are still shut. Ive been trying to feed him fruits and vegetables but he won't eat them.
    Does anybody know how to prepare prickly pear? It was one of the few approved vegetables that I could find at my grocery store and I'm not sure how to give it to him.

5. schlegelbagel

Just make sure the spines are out, and cut it up into small bits.

Are you still giving him daily soaks to help with the stuck eyes?

6. Draco27

Draco27 Member

Thanks, just wanted to be sure.
    He's been soaking in his bowl everyday so I haven't really thought about it, but I guess I should still do it daily so I can splash his eyes like you were saying. I'll soak him when I get home from work today.
    Btw, everyone's been a huge help so far, I really hope he comes around soon.

7. schlegelbagel

Yep, get those eyes wet. And if you can't get him to eat carrots, gut load his crickets on carrots. This will pass along the vitamin A.

8. T-rex

T-rex Elite Member

9. schlegelbagel

The compact ones do much more damage than the tube ones. He needs a 10.0 for the dragon, they require that much sun. However if it's a coil bulb, there could be some problems.

10. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

They also make reptile Eye drops (marketed as turtle eye drops, but they work great on many herps, and my vet approved them for my CWD) that might provide some relief until he starts getting better. Check the reptile section at your pet store - they may have it.

11. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Any update on your dragon?

12. Draco27

Draco27 Member

He seems to be getting better, but im not sure. He's moving around more, and he went to the bathroom again, but his eyes are still shut. Every once in awhile he will open them part of the way and look around but then he closes them again and theyre shut until I help clean them.

13. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Is there really no way that you can get him to a vet?

14. Draco27

Draco27 Member

I know I really need to. I have school starting and everything though. I'm leaving right now to check the pet stores for some eye drops that someone suggested, if I can't find those I'm going to take him to the vet.

15. Fireball

Fireball Member

I am by no means an expert, but when I was researching lights for mine I seen a lot of reports of Desert Screw type bulbs causing eye problems in a lot of different reptiles. Is he getting too close to the bulb? Sorry if I'm out in left field just trying to help.

16. Draco27

Draco27 Member

I don't think that's the problem, as he doesn't get very close and it looks kind of like an infection. Thank you though, I appreciate any help I can get.
    I found the eye drops I was looking for, and a powder that you sprinkle on there greens that claims to help with bacterial, respiratory, and eye infections. I used both today, hopefully I will see improvement soon...

17. schlegelbagel

That powder is useless. If you really do think its an infection, the ONLY thing that will solve it is antibiotics which means a trip to the vet. The powder you got is simply a vitamin supplement.

I think at this point you owe your friend a vet trip with some proper eye drops. Think about how uncomfortable his eyes must be!

18. Draco27

Draco27 Member

I know, your right. If I don't see a dramatic improvement in the next 2 days, I'm taking him to the vet for sure.
    I know theres some kind of vet finder on the site but if someone knows of a good one in the Deer Park, Texas area, please let me know.

19. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

I would not even wait another 2 days. You started this thread on the 4th of August and then already you said that he had the problem for a month. Therefore we are going for 2 months already.:(

20. Ace

Ace Elite Member

I agree it could also be spreading or it could be a symptom of something else going wrong. Also the pain alone is too much to make him go through.

The vet finder Link:
    Reptile Vet Finder