This Disappears When Logged In

Beardies Eyes Are Watering and Stuck Shut

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by Draco27, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Draco27

Draco27 Member

My bearded dragons eyes have been watering for about a month. They were just watering at first but then this caused one eye to become stuck shut. I kept dripping water over his eye and wiping it and was able to get it open but it would just proceed to become stuck again. Eventually both eyes started getting stuck so I've been trying to do the same thing as before but it doesn't seem to be working anymore.
    I have been keeping herps for about 5 years now, and know a good bit of information, but I'm only 16 and do not have the money for a vet. Any insight would be extremely helpful.

2. reptilover15

reptilover15 Active Member

what kind of substrate do you have?

3. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Tell us EVERYTHING about his setup. Substrate, temps, humidity, diet, size of enclosure, age of dragon, supplements and type of lighting.

4. Draco27

Draco27 Member

55 gallon aquarium with screen top, on playsand, with rocks and log at different levels to allow basking. A desert fluorescent tube, in the middle of the top. A 75 watt basking light on one end over the log and rocks. Given mealworms with calcium dust 3 times a week, occasionally lettuce, parsley, and crickets. Large water bowl to allow soaking. About 5 years old. I will do a temp and humidity check in the morning once all the lights are on.

5. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Welcome to HC.;)

I understand that you are only 16 but surely you do have parents. You say that they have had this problem already for a month, in that case I would advice you to seriously take them to a vet. You can not keep pets if you can not afford to take them to a vet when they are sick. You need to speak to your parents or any other family member about this problem. If you can not take them to a vet then I would strongly advice that you take them to somebody that will be prepared to do it.

Put yourself in their shoes, imagine having an eye infection for a month and you parents does nothing about it.:(

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I would remove the sand. It may be dusty and irritating the eyes.
    You also need to do some more research. "Occasionally lettuce, and parsley" is no where near the proper diet greens for a bearded dragon! They should be having calcium rich greens as well as veggies such as you would feed an iguana. Lettuce is nutrionally empty.

7. Draco27

Draco27 Member

Thank you. I know that they're supposed to have other veggies I just have a hard time getting him to eat them, but I am planning on adding more variety to his diet. I also was wondering about the dust in the sand, but I wasn't sure why he wouldn't have had a problem with it before now. Could the sand or the lack of vegetables in his diet cause him to have a sudden reaction like this? He's been completely healthy since I got him and I haven't changed anything recently.
    I really am looking in to taking him to a vet, I just have had money issues lately and I was wondering if there is anything that I could try to relieve this before a vet visit.

8. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

He has been healthy from what you could see. That doesn't mean he is healthy.

Take out the sand, it could be causing it, they don't live on play sand in the wild, and shouldn't in houses either.

Sand also is a big impaction risk, which clogs up their system until they die, and cannot be seen from looking at them until it is much to late. Just remove it, use paper towels.

9. Merlin

The problem may be cumulative and just finally got to the point where it had irritated so badly that it became evident. And lacking the proper diet the beardies immune system may have been reduced. What you are feeding is sorely lacking in nutrients and that may also comprise part of the problem. Vitamin A in particular is associated with eye problems. You really need to cut out the lettuce and start feeding properly.

10. schlegelbagel

I too agree that the sand should be removed. If you want something that is more visually appealing, then go for some ceramic tile, or even those vinyl sticky tiles that look like rock. I think the vinyl tiles are about $0.75 each.

Have a copy of our care sheet. Diet is covered extensively.

Bearded Dragon Caresheet (Pogona vitticeps)

11. Draco27

Draco27 Member

Thank you all very much. I will take the sand out today, and go to the store to get some fruits and veggies for the poor guy. I knew impaction was a risk but he always eats out of the bowl so i figured that wouldn't be a problem, I didn't realize the dust could bother them so much though.
    I suppose there might even be some bacteria in the sand that could be bothering him from missed waste during cleaning.

12. schlegelbagel

That's the good thing about the tiles. They just wipe clean, and you can disinfect with a 5% bleach solution mixed with water.

13. Drache Dame

Drache Dame Elite Member

I agree with taking the sand out. Tiles are great, but depending where you go the price can vary. My personal favorite substrate is non-adhesive shelf-liner. You can get a large roll for only a few dollars, and it can be cut to size for any tank. Beautiful Dragons has a wonderful chart for what is good and what isn't good for Beardies. I printed this sheet out and put it on the fridge so that when I was going veggie shopping, I could easily make a list. If after changing everything his eyes are still watery and closed, you need to take him to a vet. Good luck!

14. Draco27

Draco27 Member

the sands out and I decided to use a bunch of random pieces of slate I had laying around. It should be better for him and it actually still looks nice. I also got some collard greens and mango, I forgot my list and that's all they had that I could remember. Wiped down the whole tank and soaked him after puting the slate in.
    If he doesnt come around soon I will definitely be taking him to the vet, I hate losing animals and he was my first lizard.

15. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Good for you for making all the changes! I really hope that he will recover and that it won't be necessary for a vet visit. ;)

Remember to make sure that he does drink water. On days that I do not have time to give my dragons a shower then I simply open a tap so that there is a trickle of water and hold their mouth under it. My one dragon drinks immediately and the other one takes a bit of realizing before he starts drinking.;) Using a spray bottle is also good but it takes very long.

When last did you see him poop? It will be a good idea if you soak him in a warm bath if there is a poop problem.

16. Merlin

Also include some grated orange skinned squash, and a bit of grated carrot. These are rich in betacarotene which the animal can process into vitamin A.

17. Draco27

Draco27 Member

He drinks pretty well on his own, he even just lays in the water bowl soaking sometimes haha. He actually just went when I soaked him after taking out the sand, he's been slightly lethargic since the eye problem but he still eats, drinks, and poops, so I'm glad about that. Thanks for the tip, I need to make another grocery store run anyway.

18. hopphaus

hopphaus Elite Member

What is your UVB source?

I don't know if this is a problem with bearded dragons, but sometimes there can be too much UVB if the distance isn't right or (especially common to the compact florescent) they can output UVB incorrectly. They have a video at ReptileUV that speaks about this. It makes the lizards eyes swollen. Maybe someone out there who knows more about this can tell you more.

19. Draco27

Draco27 Member

I have a desert fluorescent tube (Reptisun 10.0 UVB) and a 75 watt reptile basking light for heat and UVA. He can get anywhere from about 8 to 16 inches away from these, depending on where he is on the log. If anyone has any input on this please let me know.

20. flukersfarm

flukersfarm Member

the sand must be removed. go for ceramic tile, or vinyl sticky tiles like rock.