This Disappears When Logged In

Beardie Rocks, Smooth or Rough?

Discussion in 'Cage Furniture - Accessories' started by Wildflowernw, Mar 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wildflowernw

Wildflowernw Elite Member

I'm getting ready to make a store run and there happens to be a stone store for rockeries and stuff.

So far I plan on using reddish stone tiles that are sealed for the floor. I'm be leaving them removable so if I need/want to disinfect it'll be easier to clean them.

Now should I get rocks that are fairly smooth? or more rugged type? Heck, I'm not real sure what"s natural for a Beardie.

I plan on lots of rocks/hides and a few logs to climb on.

Not sure what to do if I want to decorate with plants. Pretty sure they'll try to eat just about anything that's put in there.

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I would go with a little more rugged. Smooth tiles will be more difficult for the dragon to move on and rough ones will help to keep the nails worn down.

3. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, I agree, use rocks with a rougher surface, these will also help when the animal is shedding, ( to rub against) with regard to keeping the claws down, there was a "fad" here in the U.K for trimming the claws of Iguanas and Monitors, even Petshops which didn`t sell these animals would offer a nail-clipping service!
    I`ve been keeping Varanids for over 20 years, and have never seen one with overgrown claws. Most of these animals like to climb, also dig and sometimes evicerate prey, long sharp claws are natural, if people don`t want to get scratched, don`t get these animals! Good luck with your Dragon!

4. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

I would be careful about getting porous rock though, it can absorb the poo and stain. I had a friend who used some porous tiles and I was so grossed out by them that I bought her new ones.

5. Wildflowernw

I went with sealed tiles for the floor. Not going to glue them down either so I can take the out and clean them as needed,

Trying to decide how and where I'll be making the holes. Might get the wood/logs first and cut hole to match their measurements/length. Then I can get those tiles cut to work with what I end up sticking with.

As it ended up I didn't make it to the rock shop or anywhere else today because my son managed to get in a car accident today. Not his fault (rear ended) and I don't think anyone got hurt but we're keeping and eye on things. That definitely changed my game plan for today though. Heres a pic, I also posted it in a progress report for my new Beardie home under "construction." All you see there is the original set up, my added glass, temp screen till I pick up some boards so I can have a removable top instead of an attached top. This started out as a late 60's, early 70's kitchen center island without the top and the doors.

Beardie Den 3-1-09 008.jpg

6. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

It is better if the rocks are rough. Dont get real plants only use fake plants. Craig drilled holes into the logs and I stuck the plants in there. Get big leave plants, they love lying in the shade as well.

7. Wildflowernw

Do you have some pictures around here for me to look at? If my memory is right you had a real nice Beardie Home.

Thanks!
    Linda

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

If done correctly, there is nothing wrong with trimming claws. Its no different than you cutting your own nails.
    And with an iguana particularly, it is a necessity! Those claws are like razors and don't just leave scratches. They will shred your skin. But I have never needed to trim my dragon's nails.

9. jfogle78

jfogle78 Elite Member

I'm telling you the Igs sharpen their claws when we are not looking! Mom mom has never needed to trim her Dragons claws, as he has rocks to climb on.

10. I agree with rough rocks because it will help with shedding and PLUS it will help with the nail trimming.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.