This Disappears When Logged In

Beardie Leg Twitching! Please Help!

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by annarawrr, Sep 27, 2012.

1. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

My 4-5 month old bearded dragon Waffles' legs seem to be twitching. It was especially bad today although he is alert, mobile and eats regularly. I've read that this might be a sign of MBD. He's been given a calcium supplement (no D3) ever since I got him about 2 or 3 months ago and also UVB and UVA lighting, all from ExoTerra. He lives in a 30 gallon tank, it's 108-112 degrees in the basking spot and 80-85 in the cool end depending on the weather. He doesn't go to his basking spot though and often sits in the cool end. He gets crickets and mealworms every day and assorted veggies, stuff that I feed my iguana including kale, which he likes, and mango and papaya. He's been shedding nonstop since about 6-8 weeks ago so I know he's growing. When I got him he had a little kink in his tail and it has grown with him until now, it's possible he had some problems in the egg or before I brought him home.

Do I need to take him to a vet or can this be remedied at home? I first noticed him twitching way back when he first came to live with me, one of his fingers were doing it. I didn't notice any more for a few weeks and then this week it seems to have come back or become more apparent. Please help!

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Are you using coil UVB bulbs or the tubes? How old are the lights?

3. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

I'm using a bulb, only a couple months old. Got it when I took Waffles home!

4. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

How often are you supplementing with calcium? How much kale, spinach, chard, and parsley are you feeding? What other veggies is Waffles eating?

Are you taking waffles outside for some real sunshine?

5. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

He gets supplements once a week, just a dusting on his mealies or veggies/fruits. I offer greens every day but he won't always take them, he eats them maybe every other day and even then it's one or two pieces about 3-4 inches long. He has never been outside since he's still a bit skittish and I don't want to risk losing him! I read up on MBD and I found that kale can prevent calcium from being absorbed into his body which is probably what the problem is. I won't feed him high oxalate foods anymore, is there anything else I can do to remedy this?

6. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

If he is spending the majority of his time on the cool side then maybe it's too hot for him! How far is he from the UVB bulb?

7. Genko

Genko Elite Member

I, too, would think that if he is avoiding the hot side, it is too hot. Seems logical...? The leg twitching, I don't have a clue.

8. Rockstar2011

Rockstar2011 Active Member

Get rid of the mealworms, feed crickets or roaches with roaches being preferred, still give him greens daily. Also the size of the crickets or roaches being fed to him should be no bigger than the space between his eyes or there is a risk of him becoming impacted.

Here is a good link as far as feeding bearded dragons, it has lots of good information. http://http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

The leg twitching could be due to him eating too big of food items. With a bearded dragon as young as yours make sure that when feeding him greens and veggies that you chop them up into small pieces.

If you need dubia roaches I have plenty and can ship them to you cheaper than anyone selling them online.

9. mld

Good point on the size of feeder, definitely another thing to take care with. Thanks
    Unfortunately she lives in Malaysia, but thats so nice of you! :)

10. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

Thanks for the help everyone! Michele, he used to spend time basking until I moved him to his new tank a few days ago. The lamp is about a foot above his perch, it's the only height I can get it to right now due to the way his tank is set up. It has a wooden lid and I haven't got round to cutting holes in the top or making a new lid yet.

Thank you so much for your offer! I wish I could accept but as Michele has already stated I'm in Malaysia. Are you saying that his feeder size might cause the leg twitching? How so? Most of his cricks are of an appropriate size but at times we do get a few larger ones. He's pooping daily so I don't think he's impacted, thankfully. I've been looking for roaches in my area but no luck so far. Are superworms okay? He's young but he's already about 14-15 inches long snout to tail.

11. Vers

Vers Elite Member

At 4-5 mo of age I highly doubt what you're seeing is mbd related, despite the type of bulb you're using (which is what type, exactly?). I would wde with the feeder size theory on this one.

On another note, I would be concened about the avoidance of the basking area. I would double fbck your temps with another thermometer and post a shot of the entire setup.

12. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

I checked the temps and they are the same as before. I've moved his favourite perch under the light and hopefully that will entice him to bask. Meanwhile his shaking has worsened and spread to his front legs as well, the poor guy can't even sit still. He seems very distressed and won't even let me hold him. I've booked a vet visit for tomorrow morning and I'm really hoping it's nothing too serious. I'll post a shot of his setup when I can.

13. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

I'm using an ExoTerra Solar Glo 160W MVB. What's wrong with the bulb I'm using?

14. mld

Thats quite a powerful MVB for a 30 gallon enclosure!

15. SpookyCheerios

SpookyCheerios Elite Member

Hi, silly question but what substrate is your beardie on? Also, you said he had a "kink" in his tail? what does it look like and how high up is it? I'm wondering if maybe it got bit by another beardie before you got him and it got infected.

16. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

He's on some sort of carpeting I got from the hardware store, before I moved him to this tank he was only on paper. His tail kink is at the very tip of his tail and causes it to bend slightly, there are two kinks actually, close together. It has grown along with him so I know it's not broken or dead. I'll post a picture when I can get one. The skin has always looked perfectly normal and he was only 8 weeks old when I got him, so I'm pretty sure it was a congenital problem rather than an injury.

Anyway, I'm taking him to the herp vet tomorrow morning since we can't really pinpoint the issue at hand. I'm really hoping it's nothing too serious but if he requires anything expensive or complicated (keeping my fingers crossed that it's something easy to remedy!) I'll see him through it. Money is not an issue for my little babies! Wish us luck please :)

17. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

There is a 125W one, should I get that instead? I can always keep the 160W for my iggy.

18. Genko

Genko Elite Member

All those leg spasms/twitches sound like a neurological problem to me, or a chemical imbalance. Hope vet visit goes well, and it's something easily treatable, so you can get your guy back on track. Let us know how it goes, and best of luck!

19. Rockstar2011

Rockstar2011 Active Member

Oh Im sorry I didnt even notice you were in Malaysia haha. Yes it has been said that feeding too big of food items can cause twitching and even paralysis if impaction does occur. I am not sure as to why it causes the twitching, but I have heard of this from a few experienced bearded dragon keepers.

Best thing you can do at this point is try to get your husbandry (temps, uv lighting, and diet) as close to perfect as you can. I would not worry to much at this point, just keep an eye on him to make sure the twitching does not get worse.

Good Luck

20. mld

Usually there is a minimum distance that the reptile needs to be from a MVB! It should be in the box that the bulb came in or on the web.