This Disappears When Logged In

Bearded Dragons Wont Eat Crickets Anymore

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by jdandlucy, Feb 14, 2013.

1. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

· How long have you owned the animal?
    2 months
    · What is the enclosure size?
    20gal long
    · What type of substrate are you using (shavings, bark, paper towel, etc.)?
    repticarpet
    · What type of lighting are you using and at what distance(s) are they from the animal? (UVB and Basking)
    50 watt out door halogen flood lamp on dimer, zilla linear tube 18" basking distance is 6 inches, uvb is min of 4
    · What are the temperatures within the enclosure and how are they being measured?
    basking spot is 106-112 depending on room temp, ambient temp is 90. IR and acurite digital temp humidity meter
    · What are you feeding (or attempting to feed) the animal?
    greens in the morning and crickets in the evening.
    · What exactly are you concerned about?
    for the last few days my bearded dragons will not eat crickets, they eat their greens no problem, but crickets no chance. i noticed this and went and bought some medium super worms and they ate them as soon as they hit the tank floor. one even took the worm from the tongs( never had that happen before). i can leave 4 crickets in the enclosure all day and night and they will not eat them. any ideas

2. DragonsKeepers

DragonsKeepers Subscribed User Premium Member

Variety in diet is healthy. Try using other feeders for a while. Mine go through phases of only liking one thing or refusing another. That's fairly common.

3. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

What size crickets are you feeding?

My beardies are doing this. Right now they only want roaches which I dont have.

4. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

the crickets are 3/4 - 1 inch

5. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

i would switch to something else but i still have a couple hundred crickets left

6. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

how do you feed the crickets?

7. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

as far as feeding the crickets they get fluckers cricket quinch, the orange cubes , and cricket chow for gut loading.

8. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Ok reword: how do you feed the crickets to the beardies?

9. Zappa230

Zappa230 Elite Member

Maybe switch off of crickets for a month.

10. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

lol around 6pm when i get home from work i drop 4 crickets at a time in the tank when all l4 are gone i drop 4 more in. i do this till the bearded dragons have had their fill

11. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

So they are free range crickets? Hmm...ok I am out of ideas now. If you fed them out of a bowl then I would suggest letting the dragons hunt them but if they already hunt them then...tong feed them?

12. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

I will give it a try tonight

13. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

ok no luck with the tong feeding. they back away from the crickets. but the suppers in tongs they snap up

14. DragonsKeepers

DragonsKeepers Subscribed User Premium Member

There have been times that I had 1000's of crickets go to waste because of all of my reptiles deciding at the same time they hated crickets. Again, variety is good. I keep roaches, crickets, mealworms, superworms, calciworms, and some other specialty worms on hand (hornworms right now) at all times for picky eaters and good variety.

15. DeadlyDesires

DeadlyDesires Banned User

try switching off the crix for a while... a lot of reptiels get bored with one food.. just like humans do.. would you like to eat the same thing over and over and over?? just try other things..they are eating supers, Good , but try something else that has more nutrients for them.. i dont own beardies , they dont really interest me much, but i would try some night crawlers, or some dubia roaches (depending on where you live if you can get them) my sav loves shrimp.. im not sure if beardies can eat them or not though.. if they can get 100% organic with tails and heads still attached if possible.. just switch it up.. they will like the crix eventually.. i pre-paid for 1000 crix at my pet store and now that i dont have my water dragon anymore .. i can't get them because my sav shows NO interest at all in crix.. (they are prob too small) so just try other things.. as long as they are eating i wouldn't be too worried about it im my opinion..

16. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

i am glad they wont go to waste, a a cpl guys from work have beardies and i am going to sell them the crickets at $.05 each

17. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Have you tried feeding cockroaches? Most lizards not only enjoy a variety in their diet, but it's beneficial to them. My dragon chows anything that moves, but her favorites are cockroaches.

18. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

You know if you don't sell all the crickets try feeding them to your turtle.

19. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

my turtle wont eat them, mealworms and river shrimp only