This Disappears When Logged In

Bearded Dragon Research Before Getting a Bearded Dragon!

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by Rae, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Rae

Rae Elite Member

Thank-you all for your advise and opinions I have written down the other feedier options and will look into them when the time gets closer to get a Bearded XD. I can't wait but it will be obtaining the proper size terrarium / enclosure that will be the issue. I contacted a site that makes customs not to far from me but it has been 3 days and no response :/. Still watching Kijiji though =)

2. Rae

Rae Elite Member

So we have covered... Enclosure size, Sex preference and age, and Feeder / Protein options.

Question 3:. Substrate/ flooring options.

I know in the past sand seemed to be the answer but I am noticing Reptile carpets / matts seem to be the way to go these days. Is this the best, safest and healthiest option? I did read something about Tiles???

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Some people keep adults on sand. But I would never suggest doing it with babies.
    And I don't even keep adults on sand.
    The safest methods are carpet or paper for utilitarian purposes.
    For a more natural look, large flat stones or tiles.
    And the stones also serve the purpose of keeping those sharp little claws worn down!

4. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

You should never use sand with a hatchling or juvenile. It causes serious impaction. And that is not a pretty sight. I rather agree with Thal I don't like to use sand of any kind. My personal reason is it's messy, and I have had cases where my dragon ends up stained by it (I actually still have 1 that is blue from sand). I have reptile carpet in the largest cages and I honestly really like it. It's easy to clean, reusable for a long time and (ok its silly) I can change colors now and again if I want. The other thing I have noticed about reptile carpet is the heat transfer is pretty even all around.

IN my hatchling (quarantine) cage we use those blue shop towels that you get at an auto part store. Papers towels work too (especially for a hatchling!) but the plus is they are cheap, easy to replace, insects don't get too overly lost in them and its really easy to see poop. Ok that sounds silly but I like to make sure (especially with a hatchling) they are passing both urine and solid matter. I have one cage I use paper towels in often but I use a good brand (like Bounty) because they hold together better. The down side to regular paper is if you use an under tank heater, more heat transfers and its not as even. The blue shop type paper towels are a little better about this but not as good as reptile carpet.

EDIT" Merlin makes a good point about tile! I use real wood and stone so I usually have to trim their nails about twice a year. But I don't mind

5. Rae

Rae Elite Member

Ok so sand is out that is fine with me XD.

I have seen Reptile Carpets and Moss Mats (think those are the 2 names I have seen) So I know I can get them.

I like the idea of Tile too, both seem to look good, and the Tile from what I have been reading holds heat better?

Also the Tile being an automatic nail file is a plus lol. Am I correct "Slate" Tile is the recommended Tile to look for?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  6. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

Ohn slate, some people use marble tiles also. I do know they need to not be entirely flat. Merlin mentioned rocks. That would also work well. I use slate rocks in my tanks, I just bake them and scrub them well and from my experience they hold heat very nicely. I hope this helps!

7. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Any rough tiles are great!

8. Rae

Rae Elite Member

The Dragons don't find the tiles to hard, rough or sharp... uncomfortable? Just thinking about the soft sand or carpet compared to the tiles...

9. Majora

Majora Elite Member

I have smooth tiles in my bearded's tank just because my boyfriend had gotten them for free, and he doesn't have any problem with them. He doesn't slide around or anything, and they still wear down his nails. I'd like to get some rough slate ones for his upcoming larger enclosure though.

Mine loves to sleep on them... they hold warmth well on the warm side, and on the cool side they stay cool. I also provide a fluffy hammock for him in case he wants to sleep on something soft. He's about 50/50 with where he sleeps at night, either on the tiles or in the hammock. Whatever he feels like at the time I guess.

10. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

Where beardies come from, there is no carpet and they don't normally sleep on sand. They're built tough...and if you've ever seen a dragon sleep, you'll know that their definition of comfortable is far different than ours. ;)

IMG-20120709-00194.jpg

11. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I have dirt on the bottom of his enclosure and flagstones. He will either sleep on the flagstone, though very rarely, or his favorite is like this: image.jpg image.jpg

12. Rae

Rae Elite Member

Thanks all posts appreciated.
    Wish Terrariums weren't so expensive or it would be a lot sooner that I would be getting a bearded. But oh well I will keep my eyes out for a steal online and If I get another question I will be sure to ask here. In the meantime I will continue researching and watching everyone else posts on there Dragons lol.

13. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

Rae have you looked at craigslist? I actually managed to buy a really nice tank on there for 50 dollars. Its like a weird size though. It's 48 inches long, 18 inches deep and 18 inches high. And then I went to Lowes bought screen frame and screen for a top. Worked well.

14. Rae

Rae Elite Member

Is 18 inches wide ok? I thought I needed 24 inches?

15. Rae

Rae Elite Member

I found an amazing steal for $100... 48"L x 24"H x 18"D but I wasn't sure it was deep enough. It's an aquarium but comes with locking mesh hood, and tons of reptile accessories and heatlamp

16. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Yeah that's an ok size. 18 will work as long as you keep the decor to a minimum.

17. Rae

Rae Elite Member

It sold :/... I've inquired about a couple others over the weekend on kijiji and am waiting on replies.

18. Rae

Rae Elite Member

Question 4: Water questions....

Ok so I mentioned I have tree frogs and a crested gecko... both use brita filtered tap water treated with Zoo med's Repti Safe water conditioner. I use this for there misting and bathing/soaking, drinking water.

I had planned on doing this process for the bearded's water as well... I have read a lot about bearded bathing in bathtubs. Do they not require treated water or natural spring water only?

19. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

No as long as your tap water doesn't have an overwhelming amount of chlorine your fine.

20. Rae

Rae Elite Member

I drink it even without sending it though the brita filter, have my whole life.