This Disappears When Logged In

Bearded Dragon Research Before Getting a Bearded Dragon!

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by Rae, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Rae

Rae Elite Member

Thank-you, I did the same with Crested Gecko Research before getting Gimli. I am on the Pangea forum site. I will admit though I didn't do too much research before we got our first tree frog 2 years ago (wasn't a planned adoption lol). But did a ton after and found frogforum.net (Amazing frog info site). Both great sites but I must admit I love how I can talk and research about all 3 animals here in one place XD! Just waiting to be able to post my Signature for my lovelies and be able to Blog about them -sigh- didn't have to wait on the other forums lol.

So now I am trying to get my over load of Bearded Dragon research! ... Still reading about Cresteds and Grey Tree Frogs of course. Info and requirements always seem to be evolving to better meet the needs of the animal instead of the ease of the owner. I like the care people are finally putting into these pets... Unfortunately still many don't. Books are soooo out dated lol.

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Males are generally bigger than females. No there aren't calcium sacks you have to monitor but you should still give extra calcium when egg bound. Also I don't know if there is a temperament difference in the sex, I think it is more dependent on the individual.

3. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

In addition to what Thala said:

- agree - like most reptiles, temperament differences are based on the individual reptile, not the sex. Now there will be some sex-based differences, for example, when it comes to mating behavior and egg-laying behavior, but personality-wise, there isn't one personality that's inherent in males or females.

- with a female, I would just increase her calcium intake during breeding season. My one herp vet advised I do this with all of my sexually-mature females in the event that they do lay eggs.

- they can generally be sexed around 6 months of age, earlier if you know what to look for.

Would you be buying a hatchling/juvenile dragon or an adult?

4. Rae

Rae Elite Member

Thanks for the sex advice... ok that sounded not how I meant lol.

Not sure about what age to start off with... babies are cute, and it would be nice to raise them from a young age. However I was thinking male so I didn't have to worry about the eggs... but I like that females are usually smaller. So I have to figure out if the sex of the dragon is a factor in my choice. If we decide sex doesn't matter we will start likely with a baby... but if we want a specific sex I will try to get one as young as possible to the proper age to sex... around 6 months it seems.

But saying all this... there was a recent ad for a male crested and terrarium for FREE on Kijiji...he was 3 years old. If it hadn't sold so quick I would have likely taken him XD. But I wanted to research first and by the time I called he was gone... 3 days after post was made.

5. Rae

Rae Elite Member

I already have name ideas lol

Kaida for a girl .. -means little dragon-

Male likely Aragorn since we have a LOTR thing going on with alot of our pets lol.

6. cassicat4

Haha. :)

If you end up going through a breeder and sex does matter to you, often they're experienced enough or have the tools so that they are able to sex your dragon younger than 6 months, and therefore you'll still wind up with a baby. Possibly 4-5 months. For the rest of us, 6 months is a general guideline as they all appear female up until that point (as it is with many reptiles).

Like it was mentioned, it's great you're doing your research first!

With the crestie - I'm glad you held off and did more research at the risk of not getting this one. The reason being - with the exception of rescues that are being adopted out, I don't think I've ever seen a free reptile, especially one with a tank, and that to me says there could be something off with the gecko. Maybe health issues that the poster didn't want or know how to deal with. Or if they really think the gecko is worthless, then it almost makes you question how well they took care of it while in their possession. It may have been perfectly fine; however, if it wasn't, and you hadn't researched them first, your first gecko may have ultimately been a rescue and that's not something I wish on anyone for their very first reptile or first one of the particular species. I've purchased a "cheap" reptile from Kijiji before and that was exactly what I ended up with - a rescue. The owner had no idea that they'd been raising it all wrong. Had I done more research, I would have been able to identify all the signs that this animal was ailing or was in an improper environment. It was a painful lesson for me, but I've learned, and since then, I'm always quite cautious when buying any live animal off Kijiji. Research first - then you'll have the knowledge to question sellers on every aspect of care and husbandry so you can make an informed decision before buying their animal.

7. Rae

Rae Elite Member

My Crested Gecko Gimli was bought off Kijiji from a woman that breeds them... she never breeds from the same clutch and works at a pet store. He was $50 no crooked spine, not fat but not too thin... 15 grams at 7-8 months and no tail hump. Also used to handling. I went to see it twice before buying it XD.

The Bearded ad stated he was moving in with his gf, and they were pregnant and concerned about health issues having a reptile with a new born, gf didn't want it in the house... now who knows if this was completely accurate.

8. Rae

Rae Elite Member

Oops I meant Bearded T_T I fail!

9. cassicat4

I believe I saw your pics of your gecko on the other forum. He looks great. :) And I remember you asking a lot about him before purchasing him, and that's great as well, and exactly what you (and anyone) should do with all reptiles.

The story definitely could be plausible. Regardless, if you're interested, it never hurts to check him out. If you're confident in your ability to identify an obviously sick/mistreated animal or poor husbandry, then that will aid you in making the right decision. Did they include any pics of the dragon?

10. Rae

Rae Elite Member

Not a very good one.. kinda blurry and taken of the whole terrarium. Looked like a phone pic lol... it sold though.

11. SpookyCheerios

SpookyCheerios Elite Member

Just thought that I would add this: while babies are cute (I have one, and will be getting another) they are expensive to feed! Like upwards of 100 crickets a day expensive. Where adults eat mostly salads and can be given worms instead of crickets.

12. Rae

Rae Elite Member

Wow ... seriously? 100 crickets a day?

13. cassicat4

Mine never ate that much as a baby, but I was also supplementing his diet with bearded dragon pellets and some veggies (the split is about 70% protein/30% veggies for babies and juveniles, and around a year old, they should be switched to 70% veggies/30% protein). They do eat quite a bit though. You have to be careful too, because some bearded dragons will overeat so you can't always just feed them as much as they'll stuff in their face. It's not common, but it is something to watch for.

14. Rae

Rae Elite Member

Wow good to know. Bearded Dragon pellets are what exactly? Protein, veggies, both in one?

15. Rae

Rae Elite Member

Also will they eat canned crickets... I feed them to my tree frogs as all 4 are tong fed and I like they are all ready gut loaded XD. I just dust them a couple times a week. No escape crickets XD

16. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Both in one but yet not healthy enough to feed by themselves. They are easy and store awhile but lots of dragons won't take them. My beardie doesn't like pellets, canned food, or the soft squishy chunks. However I just got him to eat salad as well.
    Here are pros and cons:
    Buying a baby: pros- you watch it grow, you get to tame from young age(easier), you will have longer, more active and fun to watch; cons-expensive food bill, sex is not guaranteed, seem more susceptible to health issues, not as forgiving of beginner errors(which with research are easy enough to avoid).
    Buying adult: pros-cheaper to feed, calmer, can be out and about without worrying about losing them, more forgiving of husbandry issues, sex is determinable, not as susceptible to health concerns; cons- may not be tamed, if buying on kijiji health unknown, you didn't watch develop, won't have as long a life span with you.

17. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Babies won't. If it doesn't move they won't eat it. With adults you can feed other worms and such that you don't have to worry about escapees.

18. Rae

Rae Elite Member

Worms are um... creepy... I guess if they will eat regular earth worms my daughter could deal with them... meal worms make my shiver ... took me ages to get used to crickets lol

19. cassicat4

There are other worms to choose from that aren't so creepy...silkworms, for example - very soft and don't bite, and can be fed as a staple as they're very nutritious. Butterworms are also nutritious, although not a staple item, but they're great for bulking up a dragon and again, don't bite. Hornworms are nutritious as well, and great for hydration, although they grow really fast and the large ones do have a set of chompers on them. But they're very pretty if that helps. ;)

20. Rae

Rae Elite Member

Pretty worms? Ok I'm so google imaging these right now....

ok um ya all creepy... hornworms less creepy.. almost like a hairless caterpillar... but still ew lol.

Maybe this will be a time to get my daughter more interactive with our Reptiles lol.

I just hate all bugs lol..

Fear Spiders... borderline fear and definitely despise earwigs...