This Disappears When Logged In

Bearded Dragon Problems, Please Help

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by Carter A, May 20, 2018.

1. Carter A

Carter A Member

Hi, I own a bearded dragon, and I think I am having some problems with him. He is about 9 months old and is about 15 inches from head to tail. He often tries to frantically climb up the glass wall. It is a 20 gallon tank and I don't know if it is too small, and I hope it isn't because I can't afford a bigger cage and I have no place to put a bigger cage. Also his tail is turning gray, and darker at the tip. I hope this is not tail rot. Also his back feet are kind of a gray color and are sometimes limp. Other than that, he seems healthy and eats a normal diet of crickets and greens. Please help me to figure out what I can do. I may take him to the vet next week, but I am panicking and I don't know what to do until then.

Please Reply soon
    -Carter Ajamie

2. Carter A

Carter A Member

here are some pics of his tail IMG_20180520_174501.jpg IMG_20180520_174510.jpg

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The behavior is called glass dancing. Reptiles have difficulty understanding glass. They seem to think that since they can see thru it they should be able to walk thru it. It's not a big deal.
    However.
    Now the bad news. A 20 gal tank is way too small for a beardie. You are looking at needing a footprint of 2ft x 4 ft.
    A 55 gallon tank would be the bare minimum but is still a bit too narrow.
    The tail looks fine.

4. Carter A

Carter A Member

now about the tank, he is still small enough that he can easily live in the tank, would he survive another 3-4 months in his current tank?

5. Merlin

The problem is establishing a proper temperature gradient in that small tank. The hot spot needs to be 110 to 115 degrees.

6. Carter A

Carter A Member

the tank should not be a problem for another couple of months, but do you know where I can buy a new affordable tank?

7. Merlin

Most just build a large wooden box with a glass front.
    Tanks that big are expensive.

8. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, can you crop the tail pic to zoom right in, it looks o.k but if the very tip has broken off at some point you`ll need to watch for the remaining end shrivelling, that would indicate dead/dying tissue and possibly some infection...