This Disappears When Logged In

Bearded Dragon Or Leopard Gecko

Discussion in 'Lizards - General' started by JOSEPH22202, Oct 24, 2018.

1. JOSEPH22202

JOSEPH22202 New Member

I have recently decided I wanted to start breeding lizards but am having trouble deciding between bearded dragons or leopard geckos. I do plan on selling the babies but profit is not a priority, however I do wish to at least stay in or around the green and not go too far into the red. That being said which species would be worth breeding starting off? Which one has the better market? I have a lot of experience owning exotics (mainly reptiles) and have the funds to start breeding. I am just having trouble getting started.
    Thanks

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

To be honest, I wouldn't recommend either species, or ball pythons for that matter, if you want to have a real chance of breaking even. There are literally hundreds, if not thousands, of people breeding all 3 species, so the the markets are already flooded. Add to that the only profitable one are the higher end morphs, which typically only sell to other breeders, which is a pretty limited market. The only money in low end stuff is made by producing large quantities and wholesaling to pet stores and the like, and even then the margins are slim at best. Unless you already have everything you need in equipment laying around anyway, by the time you get set up and get hold of some decent stock for breeding, you have invested pretty heavily and won't likely see any profit for a couple years, more if you have to raise the stock to breeding size/age. The more sweat equity your willing to do, the better your chances will be. Things like breeding your own feeders and building your own caging, but these things take time, not to mention tools and skill for the building part. If you just want to dabble, and are willing to lose money, go for it. If you have a passion for an animal and just want the rewarding experience of breeding that species, then really go for it. If money is at all a deciding factor, then walk away. You will be doing yourself and the rest of those who breed a favor.
    And so you know where I'm coming from, I keep and breed balls. I am starting on my 5th year of breeding after keeping reptiles for almost 20. Decided to try it with the idea that I could produce some things I couldn't afford to buy eventually, and with the hope that it might make the rest of my reptile hobby a break even operation. So far that has only come close twice, and that is just speaking of the balls. They've never made enough to contribute a dime to the upkeep of the rest of my collection, and they have taken so much of my time that I can't get any of my other projects going.
    Now I know how all this sounds, but believe it or not I'm not actually entirely trying to discourage you. I just try and get people to give a long hard think about what they are about to do and the reasons behind it.
    And to answer the original question, leos. Less equipment and energy to maintain them.

oakensiren and kriminaal like this.
  3. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I agree totally with what has been said already.
    I'll add this as maybe you aren't aware.
    Did you know that after some expos, some breeders will cull what they didn't sell as it's too much to feed and house them?
    There's very very few people making a profit selling reptiles and like said they are high-end stuff to other breeders or people that want to be.

oakensiren likes this.