This Disappears When Logged In

Bearded Dragon Losing Weight!

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by Earlington2233, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Earlington2233

Earlington2233 Elite Member

Hey. I'm in need of serious hep. My Male Bearded Dragon is loosing weight.
    This has been happening for about a month now and I have no idea why.
    He's not eating so much lately and I have no idea how to put that weight back on him.
    His stools are fine. He has a 10.0 UV bulb and a 100W basking bulb in his enclosure. He has no substrate as I'm working on getting some tiles to put down at the moment. He is just over 6 months old. I feed him 10 crickets twice a day, making about 20 a day. But lately, his maximum is around 5 a day? I've tired to feed him greens, and do still try but he won't eat them, it's impossible to make him eat them unless they are forced down him, and I understand this stresses him out. I dunno what to do...
    He has just come out of a shed, and he is active and running about. His skin sags and he just looks all 'round skinny, he even feels physically lighter. I weighed him, and he's 180G. He's about 16.5 inches long. Any advise from the Dragon experts out there? I'm worried sick that if this keeps going on, then I'm gonna lose him. :(

2. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

parasites can cause any animal to lose weight, I suggest a vet check up asap

3. Earlington2233

I thought about parasites... But, he's not vomiting, and his stools are fine. I might just have to get a vet check up anyways, but I thought I'd ask on here first, for any suggestions and stuff. :)

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You cannot visually determine parasites, unless you have access to a microscope and know what to look for.
    If the dragon has visually lost weight in a months time its time to get him to a vet ASAP.

5. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

not all animals vomit when they have parasites, and you will not see them in the dragons stool like you would a dogs... definitely get him to a vet asap, reptile do not always show signs of illness until its too late, and you have noticed weight loss for a month.

6. Earlington2233

Okay, thanks allot for your help. I'll get him to a vet ASAP. I just assumed that there would be more symptoms that just weight loss.
    Thanks again. :)

7. Merlin

Look at it this way,...its hard to put weight on an animal that is being eaten alive from the inside out.

8. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Hope you get in to see the vet soon, 180 grams is thin for a 16" bearded dragon. Our Dragons are about the same age as well, not that age matters but just the length to weight. Best of luck with him, my thoughts a prayers are with you.

9. mld

So how is your beardie doing?? Did you get to the vet???

10. Earlington2233

Woops, I do apologize. I feel rude now. I forgot to post.

Yes, he got to the vets. He says that yes, there is a parasitical infection and gave me some antibiotics to give. He said that it was probably from fecal matter, and I assured him that I pick it up as soon as it's seen, and suggested that it could have been an infected Cricket, and he agreed. :D

He seemed a little clueless as he wasn't quite sure weather to give Bearded Dragons UVA + UVB light, I just let him get on with his confusion, and eventually he concluded that they do need it...

So yes, I'll tell you all how he's doing when he's made progress. :)

Thank you everyone for the help and thank you for the prayers MLD. ;)

11. Merlin

Yes they can get parasites from their own fecal matter,...IF they already have them! Its more likely that they came from the crickets.
    And not knowing that they need UVB? Thats the most basic knowledge.

I think that you need to look around for a new vet! From the sound of things YOU know more about the dragon than he does!

12. mld

You had alot on your mind!. So glad that you went to the vet and hopefully he starts feeling better soon. Is he eating anything now?

13. Earlington2233

I know they can get parasites from their own fecal matter, but I considered this unlikely because I clean it up as soon as it's seen and disinfect the area that's been pooped on, so I considered this to be unlikely. I'm sure it's possible that if the poop is left there for a fair amount of time then it can cause a bacteria build-up and cause a parasitical issua? I'm not 100% on that one.

Thank you. :) Yes, he's eating allot more since, he's gettin' his appetite back slowly. :D

14. Merlin

You are talking about two different things. Bacteria are not parasites and parasites are not bacteria. If fecal matter is laying around then it will grow bacteria. The issue with parasites is that the eggs are shed in the feces. Sitting around does not make them multiply.

15. Earlington2233

Ohh, I see. Thank you. That's a pretty valuable piece of info there. :)

Everytime I'll check out a thread and you comment, you seem to know everything about everything, that's pretty cool. I want that knowledge. :D

16. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

....then you'd be... OLD :eek: o:) All that knowledge come from YEARS of experience -- I'm happy to gain from the information Merlin shares (I don't actually WANT it all.... :-" :x)

17. Merlin

Hmmmmm sounds like a certain redhead needs a spanking!;)

18. Earlington2233

LOL! Ahaaa, I see. Maybe when I'm about 60 then I'll have that kinda experience and knowledge. ;)

19. Merlin

If you keep learning,...you will.;)

20. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

Looks around.... :confused: Where's Kelly?!?!?! o:) :x >:)