This Disappears When Logged In

Bearded Dragon Enclosure Help

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by dabiddabird, May 25, 2012.

1. Wolfbandit

Wolfbandit Elite Member

I'm using Sandeply for my beardie enclosure. Is it really going to be necessary to put THREE coats of polycrylic on it? And as for taking it apart, I'm not planning on it. I was going to use a normal wood glue to glue it together before I screw it together.

In the video she used the electric tape around the edges, and I think she used just regular clear tape (like packing tape) for the bottom to make it smoother/less noisy. The electric tape I think wouldn't look bad against the color I'm staining it.

I'll see if I can find a glass place around me that'll cut me something for a decent enough price.

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I've heard that Sandeply is a poor quality product!

3. Wolfbandit

Wolfbandit Elite Member

Really? The guy at home depot who (yes, I know, not everyone there knows everything) helped me out seemed EXTREMELY knowledgeable about his products. I sat talking with him for probably twenty minutes about the different woods, how they're cut, what would be good for staining, what it was going to be used for, etc... and it was either sandeply, oak, or birch.

He did say that the oak would maybe take the stain better, but that was really the biggest difference between them (aside from the price). The pieces I already have stained look amazing and it seems like really sturdy wood! (we had a hard time cutting the vent hole out). I'm not worried about it. Is there a reason why someone said sandeply was bad?

As for the glass... You guys said to look up a glass store. Do you mean one that do, say, glass doors and such? I looked for a store around me and found only glass stores that do auto glass. I found one probably about thirty minutes away that does glass doors for bathrooms. Or should I be looking at the one that does window glass? It seems like finding a place to cut the glass is the hardest part!

4. mld

For the glass you could try an auto glass shop like Apple Auto Glass, or Speedy Auto Glass. They have a huge selection of glass products. I know the one where I lived actually talked about doing some cuts for snake enclosures.

I think the problems that were with the Sandeply was if it needed to be sanded, some areas were thiner than others and also with the veneer coming off. Just google the product for reviews! I'm sure it's fine for what you want

5. Wolfbandit

Wolfbandit Elite Member

Alright, I'm in a predicament. I was given a place that would cut the glass, but it's over an hour away. The plexiglass is right down the road. I think I'll end up saving money if I go with the plexiglass once gas is factored in.

Is plexiglass really that bad to use? It's what's on the enclosure she's in now. I know it won't look as nice, but I could always not glue the top down so I could replace the plexi with glass later on.

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Sandeply is an exclusive home depot product and from what I have read is composed of really crappy wood. It will still need to be sealed well.
    Plexiglass scratches very easily. Between cleaning the snalt off and the lizard rubbing against it it will soon lose its transparency.

7. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Plexi is not necessarily bad to use, though as Merlin mentioned most types (apart from uber-expensive scratch resistant/proof plexi) will have the tendency to scratch and ghost over time. I decided to use it for my enclosures based solely on weight and flexibility. Considering the type of door I wanted and the length of that door I didn't want to risk the strain on the glass. It would have been fine for my four foot enclosure, but for the six(s) I decided not to risk it as I've had bad experiences in the past. That said, given the door application you're going with, I believe glass will be a better choice. If you haven't already try calling around to any shops associated with glass (automotive, window etc etc) and just ask if they have any or know of anyone local who has any. Again, you want glass with a thickness of ~1/4" and you will want to ensure the edges have been rounded off. It will be worth it in the long run.

8. Wolfbandit

Wolfbandit Elite Member

I've tried calling all of the places around me. The closest place that will cut it for me is about an hour away, and they want to charge me more for the glass than the local hardware store does right down the street for the plexi. I think, for right now, I'm going to go with the plexiglass. It's closer, it costs a bit less, and as stated before, I'll leave the top of the enclosure unglued so I can change the plexi out to regular glass at some point if I want to.

As for the sandeply, I haven't had any issues with it. It stains beautifully, is a very hardy wood (we had a tough time cutting out the vent hole) and didn't have to sand it down any. It was just as smooth as the oak. -shrugs- If it works, awesome. If it doesn't, lesson learned. Spend the extra 10 dollars xD

I'll be going out in a bit to do some more staining. Woot!

9. mld

Looking forward to seeing photos of your progress!

10. Wolfbandit

Wolfbandit Elite Member

Here are some progress photos of the enclosure. I took these photos with my phone so the wood appears darker than it really is.

20120603_104346.jpg
    20120603_104333.jpg

11. dabiddabird

dabiddabird Elite Member

Nice start. I need to get working on mine. I may document the build and do an article write up that's noob friendly. Its not difficult but many people feel more comfortable when they are walked through the process.