This Disappears When Logged In

Bearded Dragon Concerns

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by Kasmut, Nov 18, 2012.

1. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, I`ve never heard of Bearded dragons drinking water from leaves (in the wild) as you`ve been told by another member, not to say it couldn`t happen, but they get most of their moisture from the foods. As long as you provide clean water in a shallow dish the lizard should take it if needed.

2. Kasmut

Kasmut Well-Known Member

Well there's not much I can do now aside from forcing veggies down his throat or bathing/spraying him and hoping he drinks some of it. I didn't want to stress him with extra baths and spraying him on the face, so I opted for spraying it where he hangs around a lot. I live where the humidity is always high, and I don't believe leaving a water dish in his enclosure would be a good idea either. :/

3. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

I've actually read and heard this from several sources, that the combination of prey and taking in water in the form of dew off leaves and trees are their primary sources of hydration. Of course, I've never seen them or studied them extensively so I couldn't verify the accuracy of that statement, but it sounds reasonable enough to be a possibility.

Kasmut - I would be leaving a bowl of water in his enclosure at all times. Some dragons will drink from it. I wouldn't leave him to be entirely dependent on you for hydration if he's self-sufficient enough to drink on his own.

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

O.k, you obviously know these animals better than I do, so if you just spray the leaves hopefully he/she will stay hydrated!? ;)

5. Kasmut

Kasmut Well-Known Member

Not really sure if you're being sarcastic or not. I'm getting a lot of mixed advice from a lot of different sources, and I'm just trying to do what I think is best for now.

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

No, I`m not being sarcastic, just responding to what you said. I totally understand about getting conflicting info, it`s so hard to know who to listen to, but I promise my adviice is good! ;)

7. cassicat4

If your humidity is too high, I would consider investing in a de-humidifier for the room you keep your dragon in. Too much humidity can definitely cause problems long-term, and it shouldn't be the reason for limiting his sources of hydration. I apologize if this has been mentioned already, but do you use a hygrometer in his enclosure?

It's just like what those of us who live in drier climates have to do for our humid creatures. Keep the humidity up, or invest in a humidifier to help if we can't manage it on our own.

We bring these reptiles into our homes and environment and we need to be the ones to adjust the environment to suit them, not expect them to adapt to conditions that are not favorable.

8. Kasmut

Kasmut Well-Known Member

Alright, I was afraid for a second. I've posted on a few other forums with the same questions and everyone is telling me different things, so I kinda just have to go with my gut for most of it heh.

9. Kasmut

Kasmut Well-Known Member

My humidity isn't high at the moment, but I didn't want to bring it higher by leaving an open water dish in his enclosure all day. I realize he needs to be hydrated, and I was more than willing to just give him baths 1-3 times a week. The only issue I'm having now is that I don't want to stress him out anymore than he is already with the relocation and now shedding. I was told on this topic that bathing him excessively now will only cause regression. So I'm just trying to find another way to keep him hydrated until he is comfortable enough for baths.

EDIT: Also yes I have two sources in the enclosure that test for humidity. An acurite and another one from zoo-med that reads the same temps and levels as the acurite so I have cause to trust it.

10. cassicat4

I would agree with not bathing him until he's settled. Any handling will only prolong his adjustment period.

Once he is settled though, bathing him while shedding is ideal as it will help him slough his skin which is much less stressful for them. I have a few dragons in my house (not all mine) and they all take a long time to shed and it's quite a stressful time for them. The sooner it's over, the better, and extra baths will help speed up the process.

It is entirely your call, but I would still recommend a bowl, even a small one, for water. Even if it's just until you do start frequently bathing him. A small bowl will not raise the humidity enough to cause problems, and it will also be good to find out if he'll drink from it. Some dragons will, and that's great, whereas others will not (none of mine will). This is something that would be beneficial to know simply because it will reassure you that he will drink from it if feeling dehydrated. And that he's not completely dependent on you for misting and baths for hydration, so if you're ever unavailable to mist or bathe him, he will be fine without.

And yes, I too understand the frustration of getting conflicting information from multiple sources. ;)

11. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Leaving a water dish in the enclosure is fine and a must. If he isn't eating veggies then you have to have some other type of water available at all times. If shallow he isn't going to drown and it could help wih the shedding. What do you think would be he downside of having a water dish in his cage?

12. Kasmut

Kasmut Well-Known Member

I was told on other forums that leaving a water dish raises the humidity which can cause URI.

13. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

It won't raise it quite that much...if you had a pond in there it could but a shallow dish shouldn't raise it noticeably

14. Kasmut

Kasmut Well-Known Member

I will try putting a water dish in there tomorrow and monitor the humidity levels. He just had another poop and it was dry, so I definitely need to figure something out. :/

15. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

lol bless your heart =) if you want to put a water dish in there put it away from the heat so it doesn't evaporate as quickly. That will help some. And yes if you research BD in the wild a large part of hydration comes from dew on plants and supplemental liquid from vegetation and prey.

16. Kasmut

Kasmut Well-Known Member

I got a needless syringe to drip water on his nose everyday with. (I also put a water dish in his enclosure but I don't think he's used it) I tried using the syringe and he hissed at me when I dribbled water on his head. It was odd because this morning he was really dark and skittish, then after eating and pooping (and I placed him gently in his water dish just to show him where it is) he got really colorful and was wandering around his enclosure a lot more. Than later during the day he got darker again and wouldn't come off of his 'leaf palace' which is kind of his brooding area and not really near the basking spot or UV bulb at all.

He still only eats about 10 roaches at most a day. It's mostly in the mornings he's hungry then just doesn't give a crap for his other two feedings. I guess I just need to keep being patient but it's hard. x_x