This Disappears When Logged In

Battling Humidity..

Discussion in 'Humidity' started by cslammon, Nov 28, 2009.

1. cslammon

cslammon Elite Member

Okay, well I just got my CWD home today, and all afternoon the temp gradient and humidity was PERFECT. But just a few minutes ago my timer set the night time bulb on and I watched the digital hygrometer drop from 80% to 65% in a matter of minutes. How can I stop this from happening? While it was the "day time", the humidity was steady at 80%.

I have tin foil on top of the tank keeping most of it in, I have soil compound as a substrate, and alot of fake plants. Lots of wood etc, and a water bowl for him to swim in. I also soaked parts of the soil with lots of water. I'm confused what else to do?

2. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

If you have a screen lid cover half of it with plastic wrap or tin foil...put the water dish under the light so the water evaporates.

3. Squint

Squint Well-Known Member

It's physics.

[​IMG]

Relative humidity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As you can see, the warmer it gets, the harder it is to maintain humidity levels. Achieving tropical temperatures and humidity often requires a fairly airtight enclosure and a good humidifier (for those of us who don't live in the tropics).

4. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Nice chart Squint.
    Unfortunately when creating a habitat most don't think to seal as tight as you can and open vents later as needed.
    You need to try and seal it up as much as possible.
    Yet I still believe as Squint said that you would require a cool-mist humidifier to help.

5. LLoydene

LLoydene Elite Member

If you are able to maintain the humidity level that is required, in a very tightly enclosed cage it is quite likely You will also find yourself battling mildew. So might want to keep watch for this...

6. Squint

Squint Well-Known Member

Mold requires a food source so even if the environmental conditions favor its growth you can limit it by denying it sustenance.

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Mold and fungus can grow on any organic substance. Wood, bark and soil substrate, etc. It can even grown on damp sheetrock in a wall of your home.
    The best cure for mold is to have good ventilation. Coupling that with appropriate humidity can be quite a balancing act!