This Disappears When Logged In

Ball Python Shed Problems

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by SPruitt22, Sep 8, 2018.

1. SPruitt22

SPruitt22 Active Member

My ball python was shipped to me last Tuesday from my parents in Georgia. He was staying with them for over a year while I got settled in my new home. Upon arrival, he looked like he was about to shed and had the scale son his nose cracked and peeling. I had hoped that once he shed those bad scales were should peel away with it. In his new terrarium, he has a humidity level of 64%, which should be at the correct level. He shed yesterday but still has those cracked and peeling scales on his nose. I don't think it should be a humidity problem since the levels for ball pythons should be around 50-60%. I am also wondering if maybe he was injured while shipping but am unsure since my dad can't remember if this was an issue before he was shipped. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. IMG_6596.PNG IMG_6595-1.PNG IMG_6573.jpg

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Just looks like it didn't shed those scales around the nose, should be fine by the next shed. And incidentally, I always try to keep mine at 65%. 50% is generally too low in my experience, some will be fine there, but other will have shedding issues. 60% and above seems to cure that problem for me.

SPruitt22 likes this.
  3. SPruitt22

SPruitt22 Active Member

Okay, thanks. I will try and keep the humidity higher.