This Disappears When Logged In

Ball Python Set Up Medical Questions

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by SPruitt22, Sep 1, 2018.

1. SPruitt22

SPruitt22 Active Member

My ball python has always stayed mostly in his hide and never been very active. In his old tank He only had a water dish, hide, and a large flat piece of cork wood so he didn't have much to do. I moved him to a new terrarium which includes a larger hide, water dish, fake plants, and a large piece of grapevine wood. He still isn't very mobile, never leaving his new hide. I have read that it is best to have a hide in the cool side, but due to the size of the grapevine, I don't think another would fit. I did put the fake plants near the cool side to give him some cover while drinking but am wondering if that's enough. I'll include a picture of my current set up and any advice would be appreciated. Also, I was wondering if the grapevine looks rough enough to aid in his shedding. A picture of my current set up is below. Any advice on set up would be greatly appreciated.
    IMG_6570.jpg

2. jonathan.piazza91

jonathan.piazza91 Active Member

Typically, snakes like a hide that they feel secure in. I know I've had hides that were too big in python and boa cages and they weren't used. My 4-foot boa squeezes into tiny hides and I believe likes the security of the walls touching her on the sides. Shedding shouldn't be a problem with proper feeding, temps, and humidity being met. I don't know how much fake plants or grapevine will aid. I have only had one ball python in the past but they aren't super active snakes, especially during the daytime.

3. jonathan.piazza91

Also, your snake should have an option to hide on both the warm side of the cage as well as the cool side.

4. SPruitt22

SPruitt22 Active Member

So you think instead of just giving him cover with fake plants I should just give another hide on the cold side?

5. Lori68

Lori68 Subscribed User Premium Member

It definitely wouldn't do any harm to add a second hide on the cool end. Lots of cover and things to slither through is great if you can provide it and if you'd rather make more hiding areas with plants rather than an actual hide is up to you. But plants and vines makes for a more stimulating environment for the snake in my opinion. As with all glass tank set ups, do keep in mind that the screen top is being a detriment with keeping humidity and heat inside the cage. Covering over almost all screen top areas with something to maintain a more stable environment will help with that aspect.

6. SPruitt22

SPruitt22 Active Member

I don't think I really have room in the tank for another hide due to the size of the grapevine so I might just concentrate the plants in on the cool end to give him cover. Do you think that would be enough?

7. jonathan.piazza91

I think you'll be fine. You need a temperature gradient and secure spots within those gradients for your snake to move and hide / rest. If you have a gradient and the plants are acting as a secure place for your snake to hide on the cool side of the enclosure you're meeting those basic needs.

SPruitt22 likes this.
  8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Ball pythons are nocturnal. They sleep during the day. They are also ambush predators that pretty much lay in a spot and wait for something to come by as opposed to moving around. That's why they have a reputation of being similar to a pet rock. People would ask me why I had an empty tank in the living room!

SPruitt22 likes this.
  9. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Also, hides for balls should be sized so the snake barely fits if at all possible, or at least as close as you can get. I would also swap the huge water dish for a much smaller one and put a hide on the cool side.

jonathan.piazza91 likes this.