This Disappears When Logged In

Ball Python Possible Respiratory Problems

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by SPruitt22, Oct 13, 2018.

1. SPruitt22

SPruitt22 Active Member

So I have been watching his humidity levels pretty clearly for the last few months, trying to keep it between 50-60% humid. Every now and then I will hear him exhale very deeply. At first, I thought it was just him showing his displeasure at one thing or another or just the sound of him rubbing against something. I quickly realized that wasn't the case, but it was so infrequent I didn't worry about it too much. Recently the temperature outside has dropped a lot so I had to increase his heating since the inside of the house dropped with it. This lead to a drastic increase in his humidity, almost to 80percent. I didn't notice it for a couple of days but once I did I quickly removed the screen covering and opened his cage to allow more airflow. I haven't put the coverings back on and the humidity has stabilized to around a bit under 60. Yesterday his heaving was a lot more frequent but has since returned to be very infrequent. I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this. I am pretty sure he will be fine now that his enclosure is back at the correct humidity but any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

80% won't hurt anything, nor can it cause an RI. I used to bump humidity to nearly that for balls that had shedding issues, helped a lot. In the wild ball pythons spend a significant amount of time in underground burrows, and the humidity in those can be as high as 100%. Now I keep my whole ball python room at 60-65% humidity, and they al post always shed with no issues. The noise could just be a tiny piece of retained shed in a nostril, or you might just have a huffy individual. So long as it doesn't get worse and your not seeing any excess mucous or bubbles around the nose and mouth it's likely no big deal. And if your using a glass tank it might be a good idea to wrap it in some foam insulation, leaving only the front open. I've done this a few times and it works wonders on glass tanks.