This Disappears When Logged In

Backwater Reptile Review And Complaint (i Hope I Am Posting This In The Right Area!)

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by mdeford09, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Helios

Helios Elite Member

Yeah. In my opinion where it really shows is the lack of transparency. For instance, Backwater's FB page just says "...We breed a number of species, including various chameleons, newts, frogs, toads, geckos, skinks, and more!" ...Ok so what does that actually tell anyone? Good breeders are very open and up front, which we all know.
    Similarly, I've noticed since the advent of Internet businesses, a lot of very small operations try to use little gimmicks to make themselves sound established. Mostly use of the word "we." Also, you'll frequently see a lot of key word stuffing with these guys. In this case "...lowest prices," "...healthiest reptiles and amphibians." etc.

Threads like this one are good in exposing a piece of what goes on for hobbyists in general because they work their way into the SEO rankings for a company. It's tricky too though, because like you pointed out they've got 25k likes on the FB page. Odds are there is no way that's 25k customers, but in terms of drop-shipping it obviously "works" enough of the time it goes sadly unnoticed.

arojas7112 likes this.
  2. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

I'm surprised it was allowed into California, I thought they where not allowed instate...

Well I haven't really looked at illegal animals in CA for a long time...

Well it's the first one on the list of Bufo NOT ALLOWED in California. So if it shipped out of CA I'd be worried about what else that company is messing up...

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
    Helios likes this.
  3. mdeford09

mdeford09 Well-Known Member

dang, this is REALLY good info to use again't them!

But, I am sure they will play the whole "It isn't a Bufo Marinas. It is a Rhinella Marina!" crap... but, it is the same dang toad species.

Hmm, I wonder who I can get in contact with about that...??

4. Helios

Helios Elite Member

CA department of wildlife or game and fish. Call them. Odds are they will jump all over looking into that.

DwarvenChef likes this.
  5. mdeford09

Where do you see that Bufo/Rhinella Marinas are illegal there?... I want to find the info before I make calls.... I've searched the web like crazy and not seen it.

But, if you can show me where, I will turn them in for sure!!!

6. Helios

Helios Elite Member

I haven't looked, but... Most states dow or game and fish will have this information somewhere on their website. Most are familiar enough with issues involving exotics that if you call and ask to be directed to a list or database of banned amphibians, they'll point you in the right direction.

7. mdeford09

I made a call and they said they couldn't find anything on Bufo Marinas or Rhinella Marinas :(... That stinks, I was hoping that was another good way to go after them.

But, a quick update both the new Toad from Florida herps and the original from Backwater Reptiles are doing fairly good. She has pooped a few times and is eating like crazy.... Only annoying part is she is addicted to superworms. She will turn her nose up at crickets, earthworms, and even roaches... But toss a superworm in there and she will devour it without hesitation.

The new Toad on the other hand will eat anything I toss infront of her and is not at all shy. She will even take food from my hands. Very awesome animal.

Oh, i did find one more thing wrong with the little girl from backwater. A couple of her toes on her feet were rubbed raw during the trip to me... Not backwaters fault as it was probably the carrier who just shook her up a bit and caused the friction... But, they look ok and to be healing well.... Still feel bad for her though.

8. mdeford09

Here is my favorite video to watch of huge Toads and thought I'd share.

Qwerty3159 likes this.
  9. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

Those are some impressive toads.

They put the "large" american toads living under my deck to shame.

10. mdeford09

11. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Wow, very cool to see this story unfold. I was one of those who periodically poked around on the backwater website, but was on the fence about actually ordering from them, but this seals the deal. I'm not an 'amphibian person' and I can see how poorly that animal was treated before coming to you. Shame on them. I'll take my money elsewhere.

Glad she seems to be okay now though. Sometimes animals surpass even a vets best expectations.

12. mdeford09

Yeah, I wouldn't even buy from them again. Terrible terrible experience... That poor little toad didn't deserve any of the treatment they gave her.

BTW, I love the Bicalcarata!... Big fan of Neps and Flytraps. I own several of each.